Posted to soap-dev@xml.apache.org by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@watson.ibm.com> on 2001/12/01 01:01:16 UTC

Re: PROPOSAL: New name for combined SOAP implementation project

Glen Daniels writes:
> Axis was agreed on (by the soap-dev community) as the successor to Apache
> SOAP.  Although I do recognize that there are certainly active
participants
> on soap who don't really work on Axis, that's not because Axis hasn't
> welcomed, and even encouraged them to take part.  As such, when I hear it
> said that the soap community and the Axis community are different and need
> merging under a different name, that seems kind of like pulling back on
the
> decision that the soap community made in the fairly early days of Axis,
> which seems a little weird to me.

First of all, I didn't propose the merging of the projects under one
-dev name; that came as a result of the discussion on general@xml.apache.org
that you also participated in. All I did was initiate the name change
discussion as was agreed to on general@xml.apache.org.

It baffles me how you can think that the thing that combines Apache
SOAP, Apache Axis and WASP should be called "Axis." However, as a
primarily Apache SOAP developer I don't have any problem with Axis
being the name of Apache's SOAP implementation as we have already
decided that that's the evolution path. If the WASP folks don't
have a problem with that then the name discussion for the SOAP impl
project is over as far as I'm concerned.

WASPers- if you guys stay quietly then that'll have to be taken
as consent!!

> "X" sound in it, and has good community recognition already.  It seems to
me
> like a good candidate to grow into the "umbrella" name under which there
> could be other subprojects like WSDL2Java, etc. - alternately it could
> remain the name of the "soap engine" part, but I still think it's a good
> name which we've already got and I'd be sad to see canned.

I'm a very definite -1 on using Axis for the umbrella project name.
Axis has mindshare as a SOAP implementation effort and I personally
don't want to confuse that with wider efforts that may get going
under the umbrella project.

> In other words, I'd still like to see "Axis" be
> the successor to 2.X, with the first major release of same obviously being
> the current codebase, and the next open to whatever changes arise from the
> community and code integration.

Did anyone suggest otherwise??

Sanjiva.