Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Prashant Sankhla <sa...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/26 13:45:32 UTC

OFBiz Multi-tenancy

Hello OFBizers,

I am evaluating a proposal for development of a SaaS application using
OFBiz framework. As I understood from wiki
page<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Multitenancy+support>
for
every tenant a separate data instance is created.
The requirement for us is to be able to scale up to ten thousand tenants
and more. Typically each tenant will have 1 to 10 users.

This gives me all indication that Shared Database and Shared Schema is the
way to go in our use case.

My question to OFBiz experts is:

   1. Is there any other better design to achieve the use case as stated
   above?
   2. Is there any implementation or guideline available for such a use
   case anywhere?

Best Regards
Prashant

Re: OFBiz Multi-tenancy

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Inline...

Le 27/02/2014 13:31, c.schinzer@gmail.com a écrit :
> Just my 0.02 here:
>
> My understanding is still that the delegator handling might not be robust enough on OOTB OFBiz. When it comes to backend access every too often I have issues to see proper data or even logging in. Respective JIRA is open.

Do you know the Jira number?
I'm surprised by this. Because I have recently worked on a relatively big project (3 Nginx front end servers, 5 web apps servers, 3 Postgres DB
servers of which 2 read only slaves handled by PGPool II) during 2,5 years (based on something near R11.04) and I never experienced any problems when
the DB was correctly settled (happened once that new DBAs broke it)

Jacques

RE: OFBiz Multi-tenancy

Posted by Ejaz Ahmed <ej...@outlook.com>.
I was not aware that mail man forbids html display. This table is distorted in plain text emails. It can be viewed here:

http://cloudcomputing.sys-con.com/node/1610582

Regards:

Ejaz Ahmed

RE: OFBiz Multi-tenancy

Posted by Ejaz Ahmed <ej...@outlook.com>.
> [...]

> Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 12:31:06 +0000
>
> Just my 0.02 here:
>
> My understanding is still that the delegator handling might not be robust enough on OOTB OFBiz. When it comes to backend access every too often I have issues to see proper data or even logging in. Respective JIRA is open.
>
> Multiple DB needs to be the solution. Such is also leveraging a depend-nothing concept better than shared DB. Sharding multiple OFBiz instances to manage the traffic will be also easier, not speaking about upgradding ti dedicated instances etc.
>
> Re postgres I feel tenant-level backups into XML using OFBiz on-board tools might anyways be more efficient. The subset of entities that are populated into OFBiz by Tenant use are pretty clear.
>
> Regards
>

> Carsten
>
> Gesendet von unterwegs mit BlackBerry® Webmail.

Re: OFBiz Multi-tenancy

Posted by c....@gmail.com.

Re: OFBiz Multi-tenancy

RE: OFBiz Multi-tenancy

Posted by Ejaz Ahmed <ej...@outlook.com>.
Mike,

You are right that postgres out of the box does not provide this solution but you can still achieve this by:

1. Setup a hot standby server (through WAL logs)
2. When a table is dropped on master at time x, replay the standby server to time y just before the table was dropped.
3. pg_dump the the table from standby server which was dropped from the master.
4. Restore it back to the master.

The above process is arguably time consuming. However the commercial toolse for this are also available like potgres iDataAgent and xDB replication server.

Regards:

Ejaz Ahmed

Re: OFBiz Multi-tenancy

Posted by Mike <mz...@gmail.com>.
>>Mysql allows PITR at the DB level, where postgresql is an all/nothing
(i.e.ALL databases) PITR recovery.  So, if you want to do multi-tenant on a
>big gigantic DB server, the way to go is mysql.

>Mike, you have probably missed an important feature of Postgres
(Write-ahead logging) which is >years ahead of Oracle and MySql in PITR.
Following articles are explain WAL feature in detail:

I'm intimately familiar with postgresql's WAL files, and their limitations.
 The WALs are system-wide, not DB specific.  You can always do a normal
dump of a postgres DB, which is a snapshot at the time of the dump, but
point-in-time recovery is different.  For example, everything was running
great until junior DBA accidentally dropped the 'user' table at 1:05PM.  A
point-in-time recovery allows you to restore to 1:04PM, right before it
happened.   If I was running a SAAS and provided that capability, then that
is an added value of that service.

RE: OFBiz Multi-tenancy

Posted by Ejaz Ahmed <ej...@outlook.com>.

Please go through Multi-tenancy vs virtualization http://rhaas.blogspot.com/2010/07/multi-tenancy-and-virtualization.html

Re: OFBiz Multi-tenancy

Posted by Jen Sing Choe <je...@b2b.com.my>.
just for sharing
here is an about multi-tenant architecture on force.com / salesforce.com

https://wiki.developerforce.com/page/Multi_Tenant_Architecture

We are currently customizing ofbiz to cater multi-tenant using shared DB
which resulting to below process flow
Use Case
1. Tenant A as the master Tenant
2. Tenant B, Tenant C as the child Tenant that has parties relationship to
Tenant A

Tenant A can view all data from Tenant B and Tenant C
Tenant B can view its own data.
Tenant C can view its own data.

e.x.
Product Feature (existing)
Product Feature Role (new entity)
and then create a view-entity joining the two tables
in the screen/form, we changes all the entity calls to this new view-entity.

And then we create an intermediate screen, forcing end-user to choose its
"organization/tenant". And thus this partyId will pass into the view-entity.

Thus, we are using the ProductFeatureRole to control the data is belong to
which tenant.

And, we use the party relationship to define which tenant can view whom
tenant data.

Thus, we heading to the direction of
One ofbiz instance, one tenant(Master tenant), multiple organization (child
tenant)

But, having said that, IMHO, i still favor the multi instance(application
and database) approach to cater multi tenant.
IMHO, Because i think thats the way to go for cloud. But of course, the
costing on the cloud service provider are a factor.

--
Disclaimer : This E-mail is intended only for the use of the individual or
entity named above and may contain information that is confidential. If you

RE: OFBiz Multi-tenancy

Posted by Carlos Cruz <ca...@nbtbizcapital.com>.

Re: OFBiz Multi-tenancy

Posted by Mike <mz...@gmail.com>.
Here is another interesting tidbit regarding restoring to Point-In-Time
recovery (PITR) --and-- databases.

Mysql allows PITR at the DB level, where postgresql is an all/nothing (i.e.
ALL databases) PITR recovery.  So, if you want to do multi-tenant on a big
gigantic DB server, the way to go is mysql.  If you choose to use postgres,
you will have to create a mini postgres server (possibly running on a
different port/VM) for each tenant.

Re: OFBiz Multi-tenancy

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks Mike,

Re: OFBiz Multi-tenancy

Posted by Mike <mz...@gmail.com>.

Re: OFBiz Multi-tenancy

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
The simplest way to share would be to create a Jira issue.

Actually we even defined a procedure some years ago:
1) Discuss intial requirements and such in the dev ML dev@ofbiz.apache.org
2) When settled create
     * either a specific page in Confluence wiki (due to spam, you need now to ask for a contributor access)
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Home
     * directly a Jira issue if things are simple enough (could not be the case here...)
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa?selectPageId=12310800

I might be interested by this...

HTH

Jacques