Posted to dev@vcl.apache.org by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu> on 2009/03/10 14:39:10 UTC

Re: using confluence for main site documentation

It is my understanding that anyone can contribute to the wiki space we
currently have, but that whatever wiki space we set up to autoexport as
our "official project documentation" can only have contributors that have
signed a CLA.

This site:

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/sites.html

seems to be the guide for creating content at

http://incubator.apache.org/vcl/

Under the section titled "Using A Wiki To Create Documentation" there is
a "guidelines" link that goes to this FAQ:

http://cwiki.apache.org/CWIKI/

At the top of that pages, there is a bullet that says:

"Some Spaces are being used to create the Project documentation. Editing
access to such Spaces might be restricted to Project committers or
individuals who have filed a Contributor's License Agreement with the ASF."

This tells me there are some spaces for project documentation, and other that
are *not* for project documentation, and thus don't require a CLA to
contribute to them.

What we'd like is to have 2 areas: one where anyone can contribute content,
and another area where we can maintain the official project documentation and
have it autoexported to

http://incubator.apache.org/vcl/

Does this make sense?

Thanks,
Josh

On Thursday February 19, 2009, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> Yes, that second Confluence instance.  I'm not sure that it's needed
> since all documentation needs a CLA.
>

> Regards,
> Alan
>
> On Feb 19, 2009, at 7:08 AM, Josh Thompson wrote:
> >
> > Alan,
> >
> > I'm not sure what you mean by
> >
> > "I'm not sure why we would want two different wikis."
> >
> > Are you referring to what I said about having a second confluence
> > space that's
> > only for official project documentation?
> >
> > Josh
> >
> > On Wednesday February 18, 2009, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> >> I can set this up for you.  I'm not sure why we would want two
> >> different wikis.
> >>

> >> Regards,
> >> Alan
> >>
> >> On Feb 16, 2009, at 2:14 PM, Josh Thompson wrote:
> >
> > - --
> > - -------------------------------
> > Josh Thompson
> > Systems Programmer
> > Virtual Computing Lab (VCL)
> > North Carolina State University
> >
> > Josh_Thompson@ncsu.edu
> > 919-515-5323
> >
> > my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

- --
- -------------------------------

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Re: using confluence for main site documentation

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

Alan,

Can you go ahead and set up another space for us named VCLDOC?  Then, we can
limit access to contributing to that space to people who have a CLA on file
and configure the autoexported contents to be copied to

http://incubator.apache.org/vcl/

to use as our official documentation.

Thanks,
Josh