Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Niranjan Rao <nh...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/21 19:25:28 UTC

Javascript applications

Hi there,

We are evaluating libraries like ExtJs or SmartClient to build the
application. This sort of deviates standard wicket paradigm as most of
the responses will be in json or xml format and will not need .html file
associated with it.

Personally I don't like idea of such kind of applications, but
admittedly some of the widgets these libraries provide are very good and
in many of the cases all we have to do is provide proper datasource.

Will wicket be good choice for backend of such kind of applications. We
already have some services in our wicket application that does generate
json responses etc, so it's certainly possible.

Another concern I have is security - which might be mute concern. My
understanding (which is almost nothing) of wicket security is, security
is applied on page level or request level as it uses servlet filters and
really does not care what kind of output request is generating or
whether it has corresponding html page or not. Is this right
understanding? For the calls these libraries will be making, we need to
make sure we don't serve the data if user is not signed in etc.

Just wanted to gather what others think before we finalize the decision.

Regards,

- Niranajn

Re: Javascript applications

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I think something like Jersey, Resteasy will be better for your needs.

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 8:25 PM, Niranjan Rao <nh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> We are evaluating libraries like ExtJs or SmartClient to build the
> application. This sort of deviates standard wicket paradigm as most of
> the responses will be in json or xml format and will not need .html file
> associated with it.
>
> Personally I don't like idea of such kind of applications, but
> admittedly some of the widgets these libraries provide are very good and
> in many of the cases all we have to do is provide proper datasource.
>
> Will wicket be good choice for backend of such kind of applications. We
> already have some services in our wicket application that does generate
> json responses etc, so it's certainly possible.
>
> Another concern I have is security - which might be mute concern. My
> understanding (which is almost nothing) of wicket security is, security
> is applied on page level or request level as it uses servlet filters and
> really does not care what kind of output request is generating or
> whether it has corresponding html page or not. Is this right
> understanding? For the calls these libraries will be making, we need to
> make sure we don't serve the data if user is not signed in etc.
>
> Just wanted to gather what others think before we finalize the decision.
>
> Regards,
>
> - Niranajn

Martin Grigorov
jWeekend