Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by mcasandra <mo...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/14 00:25:13 UTC

NFS instead of local storage

I just now watched some videos about performance tunning. And it looks like
most of the bottleneck could be on reads. Also, it looks like it's advisable
to put commit logs on separate drive.

I was wondering if it makes sense to use NFS (if we can) with netapp array
which provides it's own read and write caching.

Re: NFS instead of local storage

Posted by Matthew Dennis <md...@datastax.com>.
no, it's actually worse to do that.

1) you're introducing single points of failure (your array).

2) you're introducing complexity and expense

3) you're introducing latency

4) you're introducing bottle necks

5) some other reasons...

You do want your commit log on a separate disk though.  The only reason I
wouldn't do that is if you just don't have that high of a write load, in
which case I would RAID whatever *local* disks you have on the box for
storage together and use that array for both commit log and data.

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
Some good discussion here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/user@cassandra.apache.org/msg09020.html

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 5:25 PM, mcasandra <mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just now watched some videos about performance tunning. And it looks like
> most of the bottleneck could be on reads. Also, it looks like it's advisable
> to put commit logs on separate drive.
>
> I was wondering if it makes sense to use NFS (if we can) with netapp array
> which provides it's own read and write caching.

Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra
http://www.datastax.com