Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by John Tolentino <jt...@apache.org> on 2007/01/11 20:02:40 UTC

Release Reports

Hi Everyone,

You can now generate release reports using the maven-swizzle-plugin.
Here's the related documentation:

http://people.apache.org/~jtolentino/staging_site/maven-swizzle-plugin/examples/generating-release-report.html

This is an implementation on what's discussed in this thread:

http://www.nabble.com/Feedback-Needed-on-Release-Reporting-Tool-tf2843851s177.html

Thanks,
John

Re: Release Reports

Posted by John Tolentino <jt...@apache.org>.
By the way, for this example, the changes I made to
maven-source-plugin's POM to generate the report is:

<project>
   [...]
  <build>
    <plugins>
      <plugin>
        <artifactId>maven-swizzle-plugin</artifactId>
        <configuration>
          <projectKey>MPSOURCE</projectKey>
          <template>RELEASE</template>
          <result>${basedir}/src/site/xdoc/release-report.xml</result>
          <scmRevisionId>495351</scmRevisionId>
          <docckPassed>true</docckPassed>
          <docckResultDetails>docck-successful.txt</docckResultDetails>
          <licenseCheckPassed>false</licenseCheckPassed>
          <licenseCheckResultDetails>license-failed.txt</licenseCheckResultDetails>
        </configuration>
      </plugin>
    </plugins>
  </build>
  </scm>
  <distributionManagement>
<downloadUrl>http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-source-plugin/2.0.2-SNAPSHOT/</downloadUrl>
    <site>
      <url>http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-source-plugin/</url>
    </site>
  </distributionManagement>
</project>

Re: Release Reports

Posted by John Tolentino <jt...@apache.org>.
Here's the example report:

Re: Release Reports

Posted by Mike Perham <mp...@gmail.com>.

Re: Release Reports

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 1/11/07, John Tolentino <jt...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> Can you have a plexus component for the license header auditing then?

i think so but we may need to think about the best way to do it...

RAT's half way through a redesign ATM but i'll move that onto a branch :-/

> I can hook it up to the plugin when it's ready. Only two information
> are needed:
>
>   - check result (a boolean value) and

this is conceptually difficult since the easiest and most obvious test
(checking for headers in every file) will not work correctly for many
projects at apache

would need to be pluggable so that the rules can be refined easily

>   - output file where the reports can link to

the output is now a subject-predicate-object meta-data stream which is
then converted to xml. RAT application uses a stylesheet to convert
this to plain text. take your pick :-)

- robert

Re: Release Reports

Posted by John Tolentino <jt...@apache.org>.
Hi Robert,

Re: Release Reports

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: Release Reports

Posted by John Tolentino <jt...@apache.org>.

Re: Release Reports

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 1/11/07, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:

> On 11 Jan 07, at 3:42 PM 11 Jan 07, robert burrell donkin wrote:
>
> > On 1/11/07, John Tolentino <jt...@apache.org> wrote:
> >> Hi Everyone,
> >
> > hi john
> >
> >> You can now generate release reports using the maven-swizzle-plugin.
> >
> > have you implemented your header checked yet?
> >
> > i'm interested in collaborating on release auditing (in particular
> > for apache)
> >

> Joakim has scanning tools, and Jochen actually made a RAT plugin over
> at Mojo. I would make a plexus component of it I it were to be
> integrated.

if john wants to use RAT then probably the best approach would be for
me to integrate RAT against an interface specified. i'd appreciate
help or advice about creating a suitable plexus component.

- robert

Re: Release Reports

Posted by John Tolentino <jt...@apache.org>.
It appears he'll stick with mojo. But couldn't speak for him. I'll
update everyone when I get a patch and have him take a look at it.

Re: Release Reports

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: Release Reports

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 1/11/07, John Tolentino <jt...@apache.org> wrote:
> Was thinking of integrating both docck and rat plugins by calling
> their execute() methods.
>
> Docck throws a MojoFailureException when documentation tests fails and
> test results could be redirected to a file through the output
> parameter. So integration with this plugin is straightforward.
>
> Although the results of rat-maven-plugin can be redirected to a file,
> I don't see the same behavior when test failures are encountered. I'll
> talk to Jochen if we could apply the same behavior to his plugin.

there are conceptual issues with this approach with RAT ATM

RAT was developed as a pure reporting tool requiring manual analysis
of the results. the problem is that there's a lot fuzziness both about
some of the heuristics that RAT uses and about the legitimacy of some
constructions.

people are now more interested in using RAT as a regular report but
this means more work before it'll work well.

- robert

Re: Release Reports

Posted by John Tolentino <jt...@apache.org>.

Re: Release Reports

Posted by Joakim Erdfelt <jo...@erdfelt.com>.
Jason van Zyl wrote:

> On 11 Jan 07, at 3:42 PM 11 Jan 07, robert burrell donkin wrote:
>
>> On 1/11/07, John Tolentino <jt...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> hi john
>>
>>> You can now generate release reports using the maven-swizzle-plugin.
>>
>> have you implemented your header checked yet?
>>
>> i'm interested in collaborating on release auditing (in particular
>> for apache)
>>

> Joakim has scanning tools, and Jochen actually made a RAT plugin over
> at Mojo. I would make a plexus component of it I it were to be
> integrated.
>
> Jason.
See
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/sandbox/plugins/maven-license-plugin/
It has a functional scanner, and a mostly complete injection (only
missing java source type).
You'll want
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/sandbox/maven-shared-license/ also.

I started down the path of making a generic java source parser module at
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/sandbox/maven-shared-java-parser/
but I ran out of time.

When I get more time I'll get back to it, or someone else can take over
where I left off.

- Joakim

Re: Release Reports

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.