Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by trebor iksrazal <ik...@yahoo.com> on 2004/01/18 16:42:16 UTC

Asynchronous storing of email in DB?

Hello,

I am designing a scalable web-based email application.
I am thinking that asynchronous processing of sending
and recieving email is required for a large number of
clients/emails.

It seems that mailets are synchronous. In my
experience, the DB is the bottleneck - we want to
store our messages in postgres. Wouldn't a Mailet
block, only returning after a db write? If the db is
down, and there were a lot of timeouts for a lot of
messages, would a JMS queue processed in intervals,
via extending GenericMailet, help? My idea is to use
Message-driven beans and entity beans to write emails
to the db.

Any comments or ideas are greatly appreciated.

iksrazal