Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@localbar.com> on 2000/07/01 09:55:30 UTC

Re: [C2] (hopefully) last sitemap major changes

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> 1) namespace:
> to http://apache.org/cocoon/sitemap/1.0

+1.

> 2) filter becomes transformer

A Transformer takes an input and Transforms it to an output. The process is
called a Transformation.
+1.

> 3) increased redirection capabilities
>
>  <map:redirect-to uri="..."/>
>  <map:redirect-to resource="..."/>

Feels right.
+1

> 5) added the notion of "error handling" (which includes metaevents
> handling) as such
>
>  <map:pipeline>
>   <map:match ...>
>   </map:match>
>   <map:handle-errors>
>    <map:transform src="./style/error-page2html.xsl"/>
>    <map:serialize/>
>   </map:handle-errors>
>  </map:pipeline>

+1 for the idea...
BUT, is it possible to Reset the SAX stream, and start all over?? And what
about the response object in case of Http? It would possibly already been
sending some data back to the client, by the time the error occur, no?
A bit uncertain of the possibilities and implications...

> 6) added the notion of "views" and pipeline "labels".

Don't grasp this... Your sample has too many "content", and hard to
understand what belongs where.
You have another example, perhaps in the CVS?

> Ok, people, this is it.
>
> This is what my poor fried brain could come up with.
>
> This, for me, it's the last working draft for Cocoon 2.0... it may not
> be perfect, but it covers up everything I wanted to cover with this
> release.

<snip>

> So, I consider it feature-frozen from now.
>
> Let's polish it and let's rock and roll implementing it :)

What? We are only talking Sitemap here... Wait until things falls in place
and the massive stream of requests and wishlist is pouring in from the
crowd.

Last question for the last WD - 1.1? or 1.2?
No clue what the consensus was last time.

Niclas

Re: [C2] (hopefully) last sitemap major changes

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> > 1) namespace:
> > to http://apache.org/cocoon/sitemap/1.0
>
> +1.
>
> > 2) filter becomes transformer
>
> A Transformer takes an input and Transforms it to an output. The process is
> called a Transformation.
> +1.
>
> > 3) increased redirection capabilities
> >
> >  <map:redirect-to uri="..."/>
> >  <map:redirect-to resource="..."/>
>
> Feels right.
> +1

Great.

> > 5) added the notion of "error handling" (which includes metaevents
> > handling) as such
> >
> >  <map:pipeline>
> >   <map:match ...>
> >   </map:match>
> >   <map:handle-errors>
> >    <map:transform src="./style/error-page2html.xsl"/>
> >    <map:serialize/>
> >   </map:handle-errors>
> >  </map:pipeline>
>
> +1 for the idea...
> BUT, is it possible to Reset the SAX stream, and start all over?? And what
> about the response object in case of Http? It would possibly already been
> sending some data back to the client, by the time the error occur, no?
> A bit uncertain of the possibilities and implications...

Oh gosh, you are totally right: I underestimated that problem.

This an intrinsic limitation of the HTTP model: once the header has been
sent, you're doomed, but it's the same problem for "any" web technology.

> > 6) added the notion of "views" and pipeline "labels".
>
> Don't grasp this... Your sample has too many "content", and hard to
> understand what belongs where.
> You have another example, perhaps in the CVS?

No, it's basically the same, but if you don't understand it there's
something wrong.

> > Ok, people, this is it.
> >
> > This is what my poor fried brain could come up with.
> >
> > This, for me, it's the last working draft for Cocoon 2.0... it may not
> > be perfect, but it covers up everything I wanted to cover with this
> > release.
>
> <snip>
>
> > So, I consider it feature-frozen from now.
> >
> > Let's polish it and let's rock and roll implementing it :)
>
> What? We are only talking Sitemap here...

Yes, I know. But the sitemap is the skeleton of C2... you need a
skeleton to make you body stand up.

> Wait until things falls in place
> and the massive stream of requests and wishlist is pouring in from the
> crowd.

We'll see how the sitemap stands that tide ;-)

> Last question for the last WD - 1.1? or 1.2?
> No clue what the consensus was last time.

What's in CVS always reflects consensus... I make sure it does.

Anyway, if you don't like something or wish to change it, speak up
sooner rather than later!

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.