Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Jack Lund <ja...@stagrp.com> on 2006/03/30 01:09:40 UTC

How is exception handling supposed to work in Axis???

As a follow-up to my previous question, how exactly are you supposed to
do exception handling in Axis (specifically, 1.2.1)?

The user's guide says that as long as your exceptions inherit from
java.lang.Exception, and are "beans", then it should just work. That
hasn't been my experience, and, from what I can tell from the archives
of this mailing list, people either seem to say:

a) Don't bother, it's too complicated. Bypass it altogether by either
throwing subclasses of AxisFault or just returning the exception data as
the return value from the method

or

b) it works, but only if you custom-craft your WSDL in some magic way,
which noone seems to want to document anywhere

This seems to imply to me that the Axis user docs are seriously in
error. Is this true? Should I be using something besides Axis to do
this, because I really don't want to have to do something kludgy with
the exceptions just to bypass a (really major) hole in the implementation.

-Jack