Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Thangalin <th...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/18 21:30:11 UTC

Tomcat, JasperReports, and JAR files

Hi,

Setting *shared.loader* in catalina.properties is a nearly perfect solution.
Thank you.

One minor, but significant, technical issue remains: iReports ships with a
JAR file (jdt-compiler-3.1.1.jar) that conflicts with a JAR file shipped
with Tomcat (ecj-3.6.jar, if memory serves).

Can I add the jdt-compiler file to *
tomcat.util.scan.DefaultJarScanner.jarsToSkip* to prevent it from being
loaded? If not, how would you recommend appending iReport's libraries (e.g.,
C:\Program Files\Jaspersoft\iReport-3.7.4\ireport\modules\ext\*.jar except
jdt-compiler-3.1.1.jar)?

I thought about creating a script (setenv) that recreates *
catalina.properties*, appending all the JAR files it needs, except for those
that conflict. The idea of recreating the file just before Tomcat starts (or
shuts down) seems like disaster waiting in the wings.

Thanks again,
Dave

Re: Tomcat, JasperReports, and JAR files

Posted by Thangalin <th...@gmail.com>.
That is Step 2 in the 3-step process I want to avoid:

   1. Upgrade iReport.
   2. Upgrade the files in Tomcat's common directory (i.e., copy the JAR
   files).
   3. Restart Tomcat.

This is what I would like to do (that I have a working solution for, by the
way, but involves setting the CLASSPATH variable, which I have been told is
poor form) is:

   1. Upgrade iReport.
   2. Restart Tomcat.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 18/11/2010 20:46, Thangalin wrote:
> Then iReport no longer works.

OK. How about:
- Copy the JARs to another directory, remove the ones that conflict.
Point shared.loader to the copy
- List each JAR (less conflicts) in shared.loader rather than using
wildcards.

Mark

Re: Tomcat, JasperReports, and JAR files

Posted by Thangalin <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 18/11/2010 20:30, Thangalin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Setting *shared.loader* in catalina.properties is a nearly perfect solution.
> Thank you.
>
> One minor, but significant, technical issue remains: iReports ships with a
> JAR file (jdt-compiler-3.1.1.jar) that conflicts with a JAR file shipped
> with Tomcat (ecj-3.6.jar, if memory serves).

What happens if you just remove jdt-compiler-3.1.1.jar?

Mark