Posted to dev@logging.apache.org by Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com> on 2017/06/01 02:44:37 UTC

Re: Log4j2 APIs on Android

Oleg,

thanks for the clarification. I originally thought you meant the JMX
classes in log4j-core.

I think we may be able to come up with a different solution to (LOG4J2-1226
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1226>) that does not involve
MarshalledObject in log4j-api.
I created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1926 for this (with
you as the reporter).

Please feel free to modify that ticket if it is incomplete or incorrect.

Remko

Re: Log4j2 APIs on Android

Posted by Mikael Ståldal <mi...@apache.org>.
I am not sure I like Remko's solution to remove the dependency on RMI
MarshalledObject in SortedArrayStringMap. I am afraid that this
implementation:

     private static Object unmarshall(byte[] data) throws IOException,
ClassNotFoundException {
         ByteArrayInputStream bin = new ByteArrayInputStream(data);
         try (ObjectInputStream ois = new ObjectInputStream(bin)) {
             return ois.readObject();
         }
     }

might open the serialization security vulnerability CVE-2017-5645 we
fixed with FilteredObjectInputStream in LOG4J2-1863 since the nested
ObjectInputStream does not respect the filtering.

I would like to know why we used MarshalledObject in the first place,
and why we cannot simply serialize the objects directly in
SortedArrayStringMap.

(I do agree that we should not use MarshalledObject, or anything else
from RMI, in log4j-api.)