Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Gunther <gl...@lplusr.de> on 2010/03/03 10:57:00 UTC

OpenEJB problem : Cannot connect to EJBs on two different application server

Hello,
for our applications we are using two apache application servers residing on
two different hosts. We do this to be able to contribute computing load over
the machines. The database is placed on a separate server although.
Some weeks ago we ported our application from 2.1.3 to Geronimo 2.2.2. Now
we discovered that we are no longer able to connect to a remote EJB in case
there is an application server running on the client machine.
We read the message below and the workaround described there. But this will
not be a solution for us because we have to communicate between different
EJBs, deployed on a least two application server.
http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@geronimo.apache.org/msg75033.html
Has anybody an idea how we can handle this issue ?
Thanks Gunther

Re: OpenEJB problem : Cannot connect to EJBs on two different application server

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Mar 4, 2010, at 10:05 AM, Gunther wrote:

> Hello kevan,
> we are using the following properties:
> java.naming.factory.initial=org.apache.openejb.client.RemoteInitialContextFactory
> java.naming.provider.url=ejbd://10.0.0.42:4201
>
> but first let me tell you, we just figured out how it works.
> We had to set the ServerHostname=0.0.0.0 Parameter within the
> config-substitution.properties to the correct IP-address of each server.
> After that, everything worked fine.
> We did not try this before, because this wasn't necessary with geronimo
> 2.1.4.

Makes sense. Thanks for the update.

We should think about ways of making this simpler...

--kevan

Re: OpenEJB problem : Cannot connect to EJBs on two different application server

Posted by Gunther <gl...@lplusr.de>.
Hello kevan,
we are using the following properties:
java.naming.factory.initial=org.apache.openejb.client.RemoteInitialContextFactory
java.naming.provider.url=ejbd://10.0.0.42:4201

but first let me tell you, we just figured out how it works.
We had to set the ServerHostname=0.0.0.0 Parameter within the
config-substitution.properties to the correct IP-address of each server.
After that, everything worked fine.
We did not try this before, because this wasn't necessary with geronimo
2.1.4.
Thanks for your interest
best regards

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Mar 4, 2010, at 3:26 AM, Gunther wrote:

> Hello,
> I will try to explain our problem again. We are using Geronimo 2.2.. When we
> lookup to a remote EJB from within another server the lookup fails, because
> the lookup tries to connect to the local server. Even if we make a lookup
> within a normal java client form a host where an application server is
> running, the lookup fails due to the same reason. When we stop the local
> application server the lookup works fine. It also worked well with Geronimo
> 2.1.3. The problem was described already here
> http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@geronimo.apache.org/msg75033.html.
> We need to connect EJBs from one server to the other and vice versa. Has
> anybody an idea how we can do this with Geronimo 2.2 ?

How are you performing your lookup? What's your INITIAL_CONTEXT_FACTORY and PROVIDER_URL?

--kevan

Re: OpenEJB problem : Cannot connect to EJBs on two different application server

Posted by Gunther <gl...@lplusr.de>.
Hello,
I will try to explain our problem again. We are using Geronimo 2.2.. When we
lookup to a remote EJB from within another server the lookup fails, because
the lookup tries to connect to the local server. Even if we make a lookup
within a normal java client form a host where an application server is
running, the lookup fails due to the same reason. When we stop the local
application server the lookup works fine. It also worked well with Geronimo
2.1.3. The problem was described already here
http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@geronimo.apache.org/msg75033.html.
We need to connect EJBs from one server to the other and vice versa. Has
anybody an idea how we can do this with Geronimo 2.2 ?
Thanks and best regards
Gunther