Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com> on 2007/02/01 00:53:03 UTC

Re: Idea: be able to specify size and index of entity lists

I could be wrong, but it seems OFBiz pulls down all records (1000s possibly) before putting all
those records through that function. Yeah, I know, the partial list is gleaned off of the
resultset and so it seems that we're not exactly swallowing all records first.

But isn't it more database-independent (or less?) to use SQL LIMIT?

I'm seeing long load times for LookUpProduct service when listing for pagination a mere 1000
records. Perhaps it'll be much much faster using SQL LIMIT? I know for a fact that using SQL LIMIT
is faster than scrolling through a resultset, know that based on my own apps (currently having
entity framework that provides for SQL LIMIT).

Jonathon

Posted by Leon Torres <le...@oss.minimetria.com>.
I agree with David too.

But back on topic, I have an idea.  I'll create a simple Util method that
expresses in code precisely what I need and where it's useful.

Will probably do this in CRMSFA because there's a few lists there that use the
override-list-size that could be refactored according to my ideas.

Then, if it actually proves to be useful, I'll create a JIRA issue and we can
carry on the discussion.

Thanks for your input. :-)

- Leon

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
Ok, just a quick question about MySQL here, in case anyone knows it well offhand. Does how does
MySQL cursors perform compared to using plain SQL LIMIT? Bump me off to a new thread if this is
gonna draw too many responses. (Is it off-topic?).

 > This is incorrect. The EntityListIterator uses a database cursor and
 > keeps the connection open to the database. Depending on what the
 > database and JDBC driver support and how things are configured, it will
 > typically pull over 100 records at a time over the network as it scrolls
 > through or jumps around the result set.

Sounds very database-dependent. Will it make things worse if we used SQL LIMIT?

 > As to your specific performance problems, with that information I have
 > no idea what the problem might be. It depends on how you have deployed
 > OFBiz, how the database and JDBC driver are setup, and if the custom or
 > OOTB OFBiz code is written properly to use the EntityListIterator.

I found the performance problem using low-level MySQL functions. I suspect MySQL (4.x) doesn't do
resultset scrolls as efficiently as when using SQL LIMIT, not sure.

Jonathon

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
I undestood your concern and pointed you to where you can customize your
entity list so conform with calls to your jdbc, in the GenericHelperDAO.
so you would have orcale_GenericHelperDAO.
unless you suggesting a full refactor of ofbiz code to accommodate your DB.

phantom.coding sent the following on 8/28/2008 11:50 PM:

Posted by "phantom.coding" <ph...@gmail.com>.
Refer this article

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/java.920/a96654/resltset.htm#1017914

So if we are to do correct pagination in OFBiz with ORACLE custom code must
be used with ronum or something

Posted by "phantom.coding" <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
just as a side note

Posted by "phantom.coding" <ph...@gmail.com>.
I think this is the case with ORACLE 9i for sure. Not certain about 10g.
Hibernate also confirms this

http://www.hibernate.org/314.html

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by "phantom.coding" <ph...@gmail.com>.