Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Thomas Red-Cloud <th...@gmail.com> on 2018/02/17 16:02:24 UTC

I wish to contribute.

Hi, My name is Thomas Red-Cloud. I am as the name suggest a Native
American, from the Apache Chiricahua tribe of San Carlos Band. I am also a
software engineer, 20 years. I have made the decision to start
contributing, and express interest of becoming a member of the ASF which
honors my tribe. I have seen enough in the wild of SE to know that by
contributing, I will help pave the way for other engineers to innovate.

Best Regards,
Thomas

Re: I wish to contribute.

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi Thomas,

On 17/02/18 17:02, Thomas Red-Cloud wrote:
> Hi, My name is Thomas Red-Cloud. I am as the name suggest a Native
> American, from the Apache Chiricahua tribe of San Carlos Band. I am also a
> software engineer, 20 years. I have made the decision to start
> contributing, and express interest of becoming a member of the ASF which
> honors my tribe. I have seen enough in the wild of SE to know that by
> contributing, I will help pave the way for other engineers to innovate.
>
> Best Regards,
> Thomas

So first many thanks for your decision to help and contribute which is
the foundation of the Apache Software Foundation and it's great having
people who are willing to help.

Now the hard part comes to decide where to contribute ?

Have you already taken a look at the projects[1] of Apache Software
Foundation ? You can start contributing on a project while taking a look
into the mailing lists or in the appropriate JIRA and see if you can
help with an issue or just ask on the project mailing list where someone
of the projects can give you a hint where to start with (so called low
hanging fruits)...

You can start for example with reading the docs of the projects and if
you find a thing might might be improved/changed/fixed just start with
reporting it and maybe making suggestions how to improve/change/fix the
docs ...Or if you have more experience you can take a look at the jira
and try to work in a issue (best to talk before that on the mailing list
with the projects)...and create a patch and attach it to JIRA issue...

Most important here is to start communication on the mailing lists first
before you start working on something cause it might be the case that
the project has different priorities/ideas/long term directions etc.
than you have in your mind...

Also take a look into the community[2] docs as a starting point..

May own path was that I had having issues with a particular project
where I started to contribute to (reporting issues, offering patches
etc.). after a time I was offered to become a committer and later on I
became a PMC and after more time I became a ASF Member...

So to be honest going directly to become a Member might be a thing which
might happen in the future...but I would start with the beginning and
start as a contributor and the others things might happen in the furture...

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

[1]: https://projects.apache.org/projects.html
[2]: https://community.apache.org/contributors/
[3]: http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html

Re: I wish to contribute.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Thomas,

That would be fantastic. I lived a long time in New Mexico and the
Chiricahua mountains and the Mogollon rim are some of the most special
places in the world for me as well.

The path with ASF typically starts with contributions to a project of
special interest to you. That project typically will recognize sustained
contributions by naming you as a committer. That is an honor, but it also
typically makes contribution easier logistically.

It is actually common for people to contribute to multiple projects
although many focus on just one.

Projects will often make all new committers members of the project
management committee (PMC) but other projects wait a bit to make sure that
you work well with others and seem to have the project's well being in mind.

Every year, there is an election held to decide who to invite to become a
member of Apache. These members elect the board to directors and are
actually the stockholders of the underlying charitable corporation for ASF.

One of the coolest things about the ASF is that you can participate from
anywhere that you happen to have an internet connection. There are lots of
provisions made to accommodate time zones and other aspects of multiple
locations.

If you want to reach me off-line by email, I would be happy to talk more
about what your interests are and what projects at ASF might match your
interests.

You can reach me at tdunning@apache.org