Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Hendrik Haddorp <he...@gmx.net> on 2017/07/20 20:56:19 UTC

field:* vs field:[* TO *]

Hi,

I had already asked this on the Solr mailing list but would like to
confirm this here:

If I want to query all documents that have a field or do not have a
field does it really perform better to use "field:[* TO *]" instead of
"field:*" ? I would have expected that Lucene handles both queries
internally the same and is not really expanding the wildcard to all
possible tokens.

regards,
Hendrik

Re: field:* vs field:[* TO *]

Posted by Adrien Grand <jp...@gmail.com>.
This is going to depend on the queryparser that you are using and the field
type of `field`. I agree both should be handled as efficiently.