Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Laurent Blume <la...@infores.com> on 2002/12/19 12:11:56 UTC

[users@httpd] Compiling Apache 2.0.43 on HP-UX 11.00

Hello,

I'm trying to compile Apache 2.0.43 on HP-UX 11.00, with DSO, using HP's
compile tools.
I'm a newbie to that Unix, I'm more experienced on Solaris (where I've
been compiling and using Apache for a few years now), so I might have
been missing some information. I've searched mailing lists and the Web
with not much success, it seems that most people having succeeded on
HP-UX are using GCC and GNU binutils.

Here are the configure parameters I'm using. It goes fine.

export CPPFLAGS="-I/test_apache/opt/openldap/include"
export CFLAGS="-L/test_apache/opt/openldap/lib"
./configure --prefix=/test_apache/opt/httpd-2.0.43 \
             --enable-so \
             --enable-mods-shared=all \
             --with-ldap \
             --enable-ldap \
             --enable-auth-ldap \
             --enable-shared=ldap \
             --disable-auth-digest

make compiles for a while, but chokes on that error:

Building shared: mod_access.la mod_auth.la mod_auth_anon.la mod_auth_dbm.la
         /bin/sh /test_apache/build/httpd-2.0.43/shlibtool --silent
--mode=link cc  -Ae +DAportable +Z  -L/test_apache/opt/openldap/lib
-DHPUX11 -D_REENTRANT -D_XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED
-I/test_apache/opt/openldap/include
-I/test_apache/build/httpd-2.0.43/srclib/apr/include
-I/test_apache/build/httpd-2.0.43/srclib/apr-util/include
-I/test_apache/build/httpd-2.0.43/srclib/apr-util/xml/expat/lib -I.
-I/test_apache/build/httpd-2.0.43/os/unix
-I/test_apache/build/httpd-2.0.43/server/mpm/prefork
-I/test_apache/build/httpd-2.0.43/modules/http
-I/test_apache/build/httpd-2.0.43/modules/filters
-I/test_apache/build/httpd-2.0.43/modules/proxy
-I/test_apache/build/httpd-2.0.43/include
-I/test_apache/build/httpd-2.0.43/modules/dav/main -export-dynamic
-L/test_apache/build/httpd-2.0.43/srclib/apr-util/xml/expat/lib      -o
mod_access.la -rpath /test_apache/opt/httpd-2.0.43/modules -module
-avoid-version  mod_access.lo
/usr/bin/ld: Unexpected end of file in mod_access.lo

Seems that ld doesn't appreciate the parameter sent by shlibtool.
Any idea, or any way on how I could look into it more accurately ?
I would like to continue using HP cc if at all possible.

TIA,

Laurent Blume
--
   IRI-Secodip                  www.infores.com
   4, rue André Derain          mailto:laurent.blume@infores.com

[users@httpd] Re: mod_auth_ldap

Posted by Aaron Sturm <aa...@hotmail.com>.
Thanks for everyone's help. I finally used muquit's mod_auth_ldap (per
someone's suggestion) and got it to compile and run on solaris, but on HPUX,
I get this error:

Here's the error I get:
root@pfhem01 [/opt/apache/bin]
# ./apachectl start
Syntax error on line 230 of /opt/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
Cannot load /opt/apache/modules/mod_auth_ldap.so into server: Unresolved
symbol: ldap_unbind (code)  from /opt/apache/modules/mod_auth_ldap.so

First try:
# /opt/apache/bin/apxs -i -a -c -I/usr/local/include mod_auth_ldap.c \
> /usr/local/lib/libldap.a \
> /usr/local/lib/liblber.a
/opt/apache/build/libtool --silent --mode=compile
c   -DAP_HAVE_DESIGNATED_INITIALIZER -DHPUX11 -D_REENTRANT -D_XOPEN_SOURCE_E
XTENDED -g -O2 -I/opt/apache/include -I/usr/local/include  -c -o
mod_auth_ldap.lo mod_auth_ldap.c && touch mod_auth_ldap.slo
cc1: warning: changing search order for system directory
"/usr/local/include"
cc1: warning:   as it has already been specified as a non-system directory
/opt/apache/build/libtool --silent --mode=link gcc -o
mod_auth_ldap.la -I/usr/local/include  -rpath
/opt/apache/modules -module -avoid-version  mod_auth_ldap.lo
/usr/local/lib/libldap.a /usr/local/lib/liblber.a
/usr/ccs/bin/ld: DP relative code in file /usr/local/lib/libldap.a(open.o) -
shared library must be position
    independent.  Use +z or +Z to recompile.
apxs:Error: Command failed with rc=65536

Second try:
#/opt/apache/bin/apxs -i -a -I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib -c
mod_auth_ldap.c
/opt/apache/build/libtool --silent --mode=compile
c   -DAP_HAVE_DESIGNATED_INITIALIZER -DHPUX11 -D_REENTRANT -D_XOPEN_SOURCE_E
XTENDED -g -O2 -I/opt/apache/include -I/usr/local/include  -c -o
mod_auth_ldap.lo mod_auth_ldap.c && touch mod_auth_ldap.slo
cc1: warning: changing search order for system directory
"/usr/local/include"
cc1: warning:   as it has already been specified as a non-system directory
/opt/apache/build/libtool --silent --mode=link gcc -o
mod_auth_ldap.la -I/usr/local/include  -L/usr/local/lib -rpath
/opt/apache/modules -module -avoid-version  mod_auth_ldap.lo
/opt/apache/build/instdso.sh SH_LIBTOOL='/opt/apache/build/libtool'
mod_auth_ldap.la /opt/apache/modules
/opt/apache/build/libtool --mode=install cp mod_auth_ldap.la
/opt/apache/modules/
cp .libs/mod_auth_ldap.sl /opt/apache/modules/mod_auth_ldap.sl
chmod 555 /opt/apache/modules/mod_auth_ldap.sl
cp .libs/mod_auth_ldap.lai /opt/apache/modules/mod_auth_ldap.la
Libraries have been installed in:
   /opt/apache/modules

If you ever happen to want to link against installed libraries
in a given directory, LIBDIR, you must either use libtool, and
specify the full pathname of the library, or use `-LLIBDIR'
flag during linking and do at least one of the following:
   - add LIBDIR to the `SHLIB_PATH' environment variable
     during execution
   - use the `-Wl,+b -Wl,LIBDIR' linker flag

See any operating system documentation about shared libraries for
more information, such as the ld(1) and ld.so(8) manual pages.

Re: [users@httpd] apache ldap authentication

Posted by Aaron Sturm <aa...@hotmail.com>.
Thanks Rich, that's exactly the type of information I was looking for. I
just wasn't sure if I could get that information. I need the username
because the page is dynamic based on the user.

Thanks again,
Aaron

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Re: [users@httpd] apache ldap authentication

Posted by Aaron Sturm <aa...@hotmail.com>.
Sam,

It was a pain for me.. hopefully your experience will be better. I'm using
solaris 8 also.

After you installed the Sun LDAP libraries, did you make CFLAGS and LDFLAGS
point to the lib and include directories where ldap is installed? Set those
and try it again. I used openldap for my install.

-Aaron

Posted by Sam K Tan <sa...@sun.com>.
Aaron,

Re: [users@httpd] dso question

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Sat, 21 Dec 2002, Aaron Sturm wrote:

> When compiling apache, for every module I use I always make them shared. For
> example, --enable-mod_ssl=shared.
>
> Is there a benefit or any difference if I don't specify shared?

Apache will start up slightly faster if you have modules built static
rather than shared. Very slightly. There is no difference while running.
So this is largely a question of preference and convenience. If you
frequently rebuild individual modules, then making them shared makes
things a little easier. If you want to have a lot of modules on hand,
but enable or disable them at will, then shared makes this easier too.

Some modules don't play nice as DSOs. For example, I've been told at
various times that mod_perl, mod_php, and mod_gzip should be built
static rather than shared, and this is what ApacheToolbox does when you
use it to build for you. But I don't really have any details on that.

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
... and another brother out of his mind, and another brother out at New

[users@httpd] dso question

Re: [users@httpd] Compiling Apache 2.0.43 on HP-UX 11.00

Posted by Laurent Blume <la...@infores.com>.
Ok, I just found out: the lines including the modules in the default
httpd.conf are inverted. I knew their order was important, but I never
actually had to modify it.

The right order is:
LoadModule ldap_module modules/mod_ldap.so
LoadModule auth_ldap_module modules/mod_auth_ldap.so

Thanks again for your help!

Laurent

Posted by Laurent Blume <la...@infores.com>.
I managed to compile it with dynamic modules, without having to use
buildconf:

export CPPFLAGS="-I/test_apache/opt/openldap/include"
export LDFLAGS="-L/test_apache/opt/openldap/lib"

./configure --prefix=/test_apache/opt/httpd-2.0.43 \
             --enable-module=most \
             --enable-mods-shared=most \
             --with-port=8080 \
             --with-mpm=worker \
             --with-ldap \
             --enable-ldap=shared \
             --enable-auth-ldap=shared \
             --enable-ssl \
             --with-ssl=/test_apache/opt/openssl

It seems that the parameters I was giving to configure were not right in
some way.
there is a new problem, though, which I think I understand, but doesn't
know how to solve on HP-UX:

$ ./apachectl start
Syntax error on line 235 of /test_apache/opt/httpd-2.0.43/conf/httpd.conf:
Cannot load /test_apache/opt/httpd-2.0.43/modules/mod_auth_ldap.so into
server: Unresolved symbol: util_ldap_connection_close (code)  from
/test_apache/opt/httpd-2.0.43/modules/mod_auth_ldap.so

I added /test_apache/opt/openldap/lib to SHLIB_PATH, and recompiled with
"-R/test_apache/opt/openldap/lib", same problem.

Any clue of what's wrong here ?

Laurent

Posted by Andy Cutright <ac...@borland.com>.
when you built the ldap stuff, did it use shlibtool? or libtool? or ld?
it may be that the different libtools aren't interacting well..

cheers,
andy

Posted by Andy Cutright <ac...@borland.com>.
hi,
Laurent Blume wrote:

> Andy,
>
> I've also installed autoconf/m4, to have a try with buildconf as you
> advised, it does seem like a possible way to do it.
> Though why/how the use of LDAP breaks the build for dynamic modules is
> not very clear to me.

also, it looks like configure takes an optional parameter:
--with-libtool=/path/to/your/libtool, which might not require you to
issue the buildconf command. i'm testing that out now.

Re: [users@httpd] Compiling Apache 2.0.43 on HP-UX 11.00

Re: [users@httpd] pdf files via reverse proxy

Posted by "i.t" <i....@ithum.de>.
msg Donnerstag 19 Dezember 2002 19:10 by IOD:
> Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

on Netscape/iPlanet proxies I kept pdf' s out allowing direct connections...

you may consider a proxy.pac

--
 . ___
 |  |  Irmund     Thum
 |  |

[users@httpd] pdf files via reverse proxy

Posted by IOD <io...@bsdshell.dyndns.org>.
Has anyone else had problems having pdf files launch
inside IE when viewing them through a reverse proxy?

The acrobat reader launches but the pdf file has no
content, just a blank page.

If I save the file then view it I have no problems.

Posted by Laurent Blume <la...@infores.com>.
Andy Cutright wrote:
> i'm using all HP compile tools to run this build. we've built httpd
> *.35, *.39, and now *.43. are you sure you don't have some mix of tools
> on your path, e.g., some gnu, some hp?

I thought about that, and as far as I can tell, no.
There *should* not be any GNU tool installed. cc is /usr/bin/cc
symlinked to /opt/ansic/bin/cc, ld is /usr/bin/ld to /usr/ccs/bin/ld.

> here's our configure line:
>
> SHARED_MODS=--enable-cache=shared --enable-cern_meta=shared
> --enable-charset_lite=shared --enable-dav=shared --enable-example=shared
> --enable-ext_filter=shared --enable-file_cache=shared
> --enable-mime_magic=shared --enable-proxy=shared --enable-suexec=shared
> --enable-unique_id=shared --enable-usertrack=shared
>
> ./configure --prefix /vobs/WEB/src/apache2/apache_deploy_root
> --enable-module=most --enable-mods-shared=most --with-port=7080
> --with-mpm=worker  --enable-ssl --with-ssl=$(SSL_INST) $(SHARED_MODS)

I'm going to try that, thought it doesn't look much different...

> also, i've got a build problem on AIX to do with shlibtool. you might
> take a look at the release notes & see if there's any mention of
> requiring a custom built libtool for hp (though we're not facing this).

Yes, it's definitely shlibtool that fails. I checked the compilation
output, all the libtool calls (static linking) succeed, while the first
shlibtool call (shared) fails.
If I modify this shlibtool for static, it passes.
I got libtool 1.4.3 from gnu.org, checked there have been some HP-UX
shared libraries bugs corrected since version 1.4, compiled it, and put
it first in the PATH, but it seems the apr configure script forces the
use of its own included libtool 1.3.4.

I'm going to give it a bit more try, but if I can't find a reasonably
easy way to do it, I stay with static linking.

Thanks for your help,

Laurent

Posted by Andy Cutright <ac...@borland.com>.