Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Gregory Steuck <gr...@nest.cx> on 2002/04/15 21:12:15 UTC

ExcaliburComponentManager.setLogKitManager

Hello,

Looking at current excalibur tree I noticed
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.logger.LogKitManager is deprecated all
over. Doesn't this essentially make ExcaliburComponentManager manager
deprecated as well? I know it is meant to be phased out by fortress,
but has this already happened in your minds if not the code? Or is
there an implementation of LogKitManager which is not deprecated and
mixes well with the new ...framework.logger.Logger related classes?

The reason for this question is my intention to use current excalibur
CVS code (I like command and event packages). Yet I want to use
ExcaliburComponentManager due to mind inertia (just can't get the
fortress way through my head) Am I trying to do something I shouldn't
be doing?

Thanks
Greg

Re: ExcaliburComponentManager.setLogKitManager

Posted by Peter Royal <pr...@managingpartners.com>.
On Monday 15 April 2002 03:12 pm, Gregory Steuck wrote:
> Looking at current excalibur tree I noticed
> org.apache.avalon.excalibur.logger.LogKitManager is deprecated all
> over. Doesn't this essentially make ExcaliburComponentManager manager
> deprecated as well? I know it is meant to be phased out by fortress,

deprecation by proxy? sure! the ExcaliburComponentManager is still heavily
used though.

> The reason for this question is my intention to use current excalibur
> CVS code (I like command and event packages). Yet I want to use
> ExcaliburComponentManager due to mind inertia (just can't get the
> fortress way through my head) Am I trying to do something I shouldn't
> be doing?

No, the ExcaliburComponentManager will be around for some time to come. It is
stable and works very well. It might be worth looking a little harder at
fortress though. I built a simple container over the weekend just by
following the test that is provided in the package. Its a little different in
the setup and roles file, but altogether not that bad.
-pete