Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Camilo Lopez <cm...@hotmail.com> on 2001/06/25 03:35:15 UTC

Virtual hosting . . .

Hi,

I searched the archives, but did not find exactly what I was lookign for.

Here is my situation:

I need to do Java work from home. I am using Tomcat 4 b-5 on Linux RH 7.1
and need to set up virtual hosts from a single machine with multiple JVM
running so that I need to restart I just restart what I am working on, and
not my own webserver.

Let's say I own "www.foo.com", I need for:

1._ everything that looks like <whatever>.foo.com to be directed to my site.
Example:

   prefix:				Would go to:
  "projects.sillyshop.13.foo.com"	"sillyshop" virtual machine version 13
  "projects.sillyshop.foo.com"		"sillyshop" virtual machine most current (,
latest) version
  "projects.veryimportant.404.foo.com"	"veryimportant" virtual machine

and with this setup I would have three JVM running (/ Tomcat instances?) in
my server, namely, "foo.com" 's, "sillyshop.13.foo.com" 's and
"projects.veryimportant.404.foo.com" 's

2._ Be able to restrict from where people are getting to my host and in
case, there are people that do not belong to a certain IP range, silently
redirect them to my own site, "www.foo.com".
  This way you can protect confidentiallity. Only people that are coming
from certain places, can see/participate on what they are supposed to.

  Now, my questions:

  How do you do this, and please, notice that I want/need to you use one
running JVM for each project?

  What should my ISP do to redirect all "<whatever>.foo.com" traffic to my
site?

  What about if clients need for me to develop/test also mail, ftp servers,
... how would redirections work in this case?

  Security isues?

  Could I use ipchains to route the request to servers other than Tomcat?

  Any other issues that I am not aware of?

  Any references, links, etc?

  I don't want to run any chances to mess it up with other projects, so that
is why I will run multiple JVM, but what is your experience?

  Thanks
  Albretch