Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Gemes Tibor <ge...@regens.hu> on 2002/08/13 16:26:00 UTC

release 1.1-b2 depends on commons-digester-1.2

I downloaded the beta2 release, and found that it compiles with the
digester 1.0 or 1.1, but it does not run. The parser throws a
NullPointerException as soon as it reaches the
struts-config/action-mappings/action pattern.

It runs well with commons-digester-1.2 thou neither the build.xml nor the
documentation mentions this depedency.

Shall I submit a bug report?

Tib

Re: release 1.1-b2 depends on commons-digester-1.2

Posted by James Holmes <jh...@yahoo.com>.
I suggest you submit a bug report.  Adding a patch for
the documentation to the bug report would be a big
help too.

http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/

-james
james@jamesholmes.com
http://www.jamesholmes.com/struts/

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Gemes Tibor wrote:

> Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 08:38:33 +0200
> From: Gemes Tibor <ge...@regens.hu>
> Subject: Re: release 1.1-b2 depends on commons-digester-1.2
>
> 2002. augusztus 13. 17:40 dátummal Craig R. McClanahan ezt írtad:
> > No.  The beta2 release of Struts comes with the version of Digester it
> > depends on (which is essentially equal to 1.2), as it does with every
> > other JAR file.  It will *not* work with older versions of any of them.
>
> Yes, although the src release comes with no commons jar at all :)
>
> Actually I had a problem with the digester 1.2 release, so I stucked w/ the
> older one. But -thanks god- my new project runs well with the digester 1.2,
> so I could upgrade. At least for this project.

You'll notice that many of the underlying Commons projects just went
through a release cycle, with code that (almost exactly) matches what was
built in to Struts 1.1-b2.  (If you want the *exact* code, use CVS and
pull tag "STRUTS_1_1_B2" on each of the packages).  You can grab binaries,
(with Javadocs) and sources for BeanUtils 1.4, DBCP 1.0, Digester 1.3,
Logging 1.0.1, and Pool 1.0.1).

  http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/components.html

> Tib

Craig

Re: release 1.1-b2 depends on commons-digester-1.2

Posted by Gemes Tibor <ge...@regens.hu>.

Re: Release 1.1-b2: tips on upgrading from 1.02?

Posted by Jeff Corliss <je...@yahoo.com>.
> > Also are the Release
> > Notes for 1.1-b2 indicative of the changes from
> > 1.02 to 1.1-b2, or just from 1.1-b1 to 1.1-b2?
>
> The very first sentence of the release notes answers
> that question :-).
>
> Craig

Doh! So easy to overlook those first sentences ;)

Is there any value to having the release notes
indicate whats changed just from 1.1-b1 as opposed to
from 1.02?  Since I am moving from 1.02 it probably
doesn't matter as much for me, but maybe it might
benefit others.

In any case, congrats to all on the new release.  I am
looking forward to diving in.

Re: Release 1.1-b2: tips on upgrading from 1.02?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Jeff Corliss wrote:

> Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 08:48:42 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Jeff Corliss <je...@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Release 1.1-b2: tips on upgrading from 1.02?
>
> Is there an existing document on things you need to do
> to upgrade from 1.02 to 1.1-b2?

In theory, if you didn't subclass any of the standard Struts classes (like
ActionServlet), and didn't use any methods that are now deprecated, a
1.0.2 based app should "just work".  Be sure to recompile your app against
the new JAR files, though.

In practice, this has generally been found to be true, although lots of
people seem to subclass ActionServlet in order to tweak the request
processing methods.  If you do that, you'll need to subclass
RequestProcessor instead.

>  Also are the Release
> Notes for 1.1-b2 indicative of the changes from 1.02
> to 1.1-b2, or just from 1.1-b1 to 1.1-b2?

The very first sentence of the release notes answers that question :-).

> Thanks!

Craig

Release 1.1-b2: tips on upgrading from 1.02?

Posted by Jeff Corliss <je...@yahoo.com>.
Is there an existing document on things you need to do
to upgrade from 1.02 to 1.1-b2?  Also are the Release

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Gemes Tibor wrote:

> Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 16:26:00 +0200
> From: Gemes Tibor <ge...@regens.hu>
> To: struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: release 1.1-b2 depends on commons-digester-1.2
>
> I downloaded the beta2 release, and found that it compiles with the
> digester 1.0 or 1.1, but it does not run. The parser throws a
> NullPointerException as soon as it reaches the
> struts-config/action-mappings/action pattern.
>
> It runs well with commons-digester-1.2 thou neither the build.xml nor the
> documentation mentions this depedency.
>
> Shall I submit a bug report?

No.  The beta2 release of Struts comes with the version of Digester it
depends on (which is essentially equal to 1.2), as it does with every
other JAR file.  It will *not* work with older versions of any of them.

The final release of Struts will use the recently published final releases
of the commons packages it relies on.

> Tib

Craig