Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch> on 2004/06/26 12:52:07 UTC

Re: Discussion topic: too many places development is being done?

At 12:14 AM 6/26/2004, you wrote:
>While I agree with Matt about not tying people's hands, one of the core
>values of Apache is the transparency of communication.  Part of that
>transparency is that there is -- at the very least -- a publicly accessible
>record of what is discussed.  Mediums like email, wiki and blogs are
>automatically archived and available, but things like irc, phone
>conferencing, and the like are not.  As long as "minutes" are taken and
>publicly distributed/archived, then it doesn't necessarily break the spirit
>of communication in the Apache community.
>
>I also agree with Jim in that it is a real pain to try to track all these
>various sources of information.  What we really need is some way of
>aggregating them all into one place -- maybe RSS/RDF/Atom?  I've seen a
>number of projects working to expose CVS commits, emails, wikis, and more
>into feeds, but not all of them are ready for prime-time and haven't seen
>any real initiative at Apache to actually install/use them to help manage
>the information.

Being completely ignorant of projects attempting to aggregate
different sources of information, I won't comment on Apache
initiatives or maturity of these tools. However, I know that I
personally prefer mailing lists over wiki or bugzilla as a forum for
discussions.

IMHO, discussions held on the wiki or on bugzilla in their current
forms contribute to increase the level of noise. What we need is not
another medium for communication but to reduce the level of noise.

>Now if we could just convince a VP in the Apache Software Foundation
>([cough] Ceki [cough]) to champion such an idea...  :-)

Jim, thank you for the honor but this is a long and perilous mission which
I am not ready to embark upon.

--
Ceki Gülcü