Posted to dev@pdfbox.apache.org by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de> on 2014/06/20 08:05:33 UTC

PDFBox and XMP - retire jempbox

Hi,

we currently have two libraries handling XMP metadata jempbox and xmpbox.

Part of PDFBOX-1187/PDFBOX-2197 was to remove a direct dependency from jempbox as now XMP metadata could be generated by any library and added as a stream. This will be available for PDFBox 2.0.0.

I would like to propose to now retire jempbox as xmpbox

# is closer to the spec (naming conventions)
# used for PDF/A validation where we can not remove a dependency on XMP handling as checking metadata is necessary for PDF/A compliance.

In case there is functionality in jempbox that is missing in xmpbox that could be added at a later stage upon request.

WDYT?

BR
Maruan

Re: PDFBox and XMP - retire jempbox

Posted by Guillaume Bailleul <gb...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Up to now, I guess xmpbox is not used widely. Do we have any feedback
on its usage (out of PDF/A validation) ?

By the way:

+1 to remove jempbox for 2.0.0

Guillaume Bailleul

Posted by Timo Boehme <ti...@ontochem.com>.
Hi,

Am 20.06.2014 08:05, schrieb Maruan Sahyoun:
> Hi,
>
> we currently have two libraries handling XMP metadata jempbox and xmpbox.
>
> Part of PDFBOX-1187/PDFBOX-2197 was to remove a direct dependency from jempbox as now XMP metadata could be generated by any library and added as a stream. This will be available for PDFBox 2.0.0.
>
> I would like to propose to now retire jempbox as xmpbox
>
> # is closer to the spec (naming conventions)
> # used for PDF/A validation where we can not remove a dependency on XMP handling as checking metadata is necessary for PDF/A compliance.
>
> In case there is functionality in jempbox that is missing in xmpbox that could be added at a later stage upon request.
>
> WDYT?

+1

Best,
Timo

Posted by John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com>.
+ 1

-- John

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Hi,

Am 20.06.2014 08:05, schrieb Maruan Sahyoun:
> Hi,
>
> we currently have two libraries handling XMP metadata jempbox and xmpbox.
>
> Part of PDFBOX-1187/PDFBOX-2197 was to remove a direct dependency from jempbox as now XMP metadata could be generated by any library and added as a stream. This will be available for PDFBox 2.0.0.
>
> I would like to propose to now retire jempbox as xmpbox
>
> # is closer to the spec (naming conventions)
> # used for PDF/A validation where we can not remove a dependency on XMP handling as checking metadata is necessary for PDF/A compliance.
>
> In case there is functionality in jempbox that is missing in xmpbox that could be added at a later stage upon request.
>
> WDYT?
I've nothing to add

+1

> BR