Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Ben Adams <be...@ethansolutions.com> on 2016/07/29 00:35:25 UTC

Demo of lost node and replacement

Hello I'm looking at implementing couchdb in a project I'm working on.  But can't find a demo of some taking down a node and replacing it without downtime.  Showing how this works.  Thanks for any pointers.

-- Ben

Re: Demo of lost node and replacement

Posted by Adam Kocoloski <ko...@apache.org>.
Ok, that helps.

The most natural way to do this in CouchDB 2.x is to set up a 3 node cluster. CouchDB will automatically store a replica of every document on each of those 3 nodes. If a node fails, the cluster will continue to function in the degraded state.

The easiest way to restore the cluster at this point is to replace the failed node with a new one that has the same "node name" (e.g. Host name). In that case CouchDB will automatically replicate the data to the new node to restore the original replica level.

In the interest of full disclosure, the functionality I'm describing is currently part of a release candidate undergoing final testing. I do think it's the best option for your use case, though -- the critical bits have been running in production at Cloudant for many years now. Cheers,

Adam

Posted by Ben Adams <be...@ethansolutions.com>.
Hi Adam,

Posted by Adam Kocoloski <ko...@apache.org>.