Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Thomas J. Buhr" <wo...@fastmail.fm> on 2002/08/13 00:17:38 UTC

Java Functionality

What are the plans to support Java 1.4 in Batik? There was a
significate amount of graphic work done in 1.4 (NIO) that may affect
performance of Batik. I saw a super! book (Java 2D API) by Vincent
Hardy where he developed a system called Graphic Layer Framework (GLF).
How can functionality like GLF work in Batik?

Cheers, Thomas
--
Please don't use http://fastmail.fm
(I like feeling special.)

Java Functionality

Posted by Thomas E Deweese <th...@kodak.com>.

TJB> What are the plans to support Java 1.4 in Batik?

     There are some people that are already using Batik with JDK 1.4.
So we already support JDK 1.4.

TJB> There was a significate amount of graphic work done in 1.4 (NIO)
TJB> that may affect performance of Batik.

     Well NIO isn't part of the graphics system it's part of the I/O
system it might be useful for accellerating the loading of images from
the local file system but won't help much for Network.  Probably we
wouldn't use this directly.

     There are two pieces from JDK 1.4 that we may leverage, one is
the javax.imageio package which reportedly can be much faster than
what we are currently using, and will make it significantly easier for
people to provide custom codecs (although we already provide a Batik
specific mechanism for this).

     The other would be the VolatileImage stuff.  This currently isn't
as suitable for use in Batik as it first appears, for two reasons.
First it only allows for bitmask transparency (fully trasparent or
fully opaque) where as SVG conformance expects an alpha channel.
Second VolatileImage is designed to handle cases where you have a
single graphic that you want to blast on the screen exactly the same
in lots of places.  The only case that comes close to this in SVG is
markers and even there usually the image needs to be rotated (image
might fall into this case as well - use does not due to property
inheritence).

     What we don't want to do is make Batik JDK 1.4 specific.  This
requires some trickery in how we link this stuff into Batik.  Since
currently we don't see a place where large immediate gains in
performance or what not could be made we have focused on other things.

TJB> I saw a super! book (Java 2D API) by Vincent Hardy where he
TJB> developed a system called Graphic Layer Framework (GLF).  How can
TJB> functionality like GLF work in Batik?

     I don't know if this is a leading question but Vincent Hardy (the
author) is one of the committers for the Batik Project.  All the
rendering in Batik is done by a module called 'GVT' (Graphics Vector
Toolkit) which shares many of the same properties as the GLF, so much
of that functionality is already in Batik.