Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org> on 2002/06/07 09:37:38 UTC

Exipires headers (was: Re: Cocoon article on JDJ)

Ivelin Ivanov wrote:
> It's sad to read though that:
> 2) Cocoon is not applicable for large scale applications.

> With the new contribution for Expires response header and caching
> improvements, 2) shouldn't be a big deal any more.
> BTW, is Expires checked in already?

Definitely yes, in HEAD only. I still have to understand some quirks in
(reverse) proxy implementations, but it already works like a charm with
clients (browsers). I hope to have it working RSN ar 100% with cachine
enabled reverse proxies, but it already gives a sensible performance
boost as of now.

The other good news is that the whole Cocoon environment will have the
Expires information, since it's in the objectModel. This might lead to a
change in the cache algorithms (I'm waiting for Carsten to finish up his
event/stream cache unification to have a look at it), taking into
account even this information.

Diana: an HOWTO is on the way, I promise :-)

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino

RE: Exipires headers (was: Re: Cocoon article on JDJ)

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

> The other good news is that the whole Cocoon environment will have the
> Expires information, since it's in the objectModel. This might lead to a
> change in the cache algorithms (I'm waiting for Carsten to finish up his
> event/stream cache unification to have a look at it), taking into
> account even this information.

The unification is finished - for now... :)

No, seriously, it's finished and working, but what is needed now, is
feedback if all are satisfied with this approach - so there might be
some minor changes here and there.
The new component is called ProcessingPipeline.

I changed the implementation of the expires headers by moving it from
the code of the tree processor to the implementation of the
ProcessingPipeline - so you will find everything in the
AbstractProcessingPipeline now.

Carsten

Carsten Ziegeler     Chief Architect     Open Source Group, S&N AG