Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> on 2017/11/01 20:28:00 UTC

Design Question About Client Limits

Hi -

I am doing some design work for a message based workflow service I am thinking about building.

What is the limit on the number of simultaneously open topic producers on a client node?

Regards,
Dave

Re: Design Question About Client Limits

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi Andrews and Matteo,

Thanks guys. I’ll treat the issue as a second phase design concern where I can time out resources associated with unused producers in the client.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Sahaya Andrews <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matteo Merli <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dave,

I don't think there's a particular limit to it. For a single application,
the idea is to share a single Pulsar client instance.
That makes sure to reuse a lot of resources (threads, TCP connections,
etc..)

For each producer, the biggest amount of memory would be related to the
queue of outstanding messages. The default for the queue size is 1000, but
it could be reduced in case the required throughput for each producer is is
not that high.

I haven't done the real check on the amount of memory (I don't expect it to
be super-huge), though it could be tested using the `pulsar-perf` producer
from CLI. The tool can easily simulate N producers on N topics.

Matteo

--
Matteo Merli
<mm...@apache.org>