Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Adam Jack <aj...@mric.coop> on 2005/05/26 17:42:52 UTC

vmgump official w/ notification

I've enabled public on vmgump [1] to (1) do an official build each day and
(2) deliver notifications via e-mail when it does.  With Brutus gone, it
seems time. That  said, seems we have some package work to do. [2] [3]

regards

Adam

[1] http://vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/
[2] http://vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/project_todos.html
[3] http://vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/xpp/xpp2/index.html

Re: vmgump official w/ notification

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On 27-05-2005 18:53, "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@apache.org> wrote:
>> I've enabled public on vmgump [1] to (1) do an official build each day and
>> (2) deliver notifications via e-mail when it does.  With Brutus gone, it
>> seems time.
>
> I just burned more time than I wanted spend tracking down why vmgump was not
> sending notification e-mails. It logged that the Notifier actor (plugin) was
> not being loaded, but  the reason for that eluded me. After a lot of code
> scanning, and trial-and-error, and head scratching ... I finally went in to
> hack some debug into the running code. I found that somebody had (on vmgump)
> commented out the "add notifier" section! Since the edit was local (not
> checked in) the "svn update", that Gump does on itself, was not
> finding/correct this.

Eh....Huh?!?

I really can't remember doing that. I also can't find any reference in my
bash_history of editing a python file.

Why would I have done that? It just doesn't make sense. Did you try to 'svn
revert' the change and see what happens?

> 1) Please let's no do this again. Now that vmgump is the "livest" thing we
> have, let's treat it as production.
> 2) One can disable notifications simply by removing <nag/> from the
> workspace. If there were more problems than this, perhaps log a JIRA entry.
> 3) I deleted public/gump an re-checked out from
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/gump/live/ not TRUNK.

Ah. Eh. Ack. Please udate VmgumpConfig on the wiki to reflect that.

> 4) Any thoughts on if/how we stop this happening to us (unnoticed) again?
> Can we (if "official") do an SVN forced sync?

I would say that, given that

1) I didn't change any code after svn checkout (just went through bash
   history)
2) you and me are the only people with accounts on vmgump

It follows that

-> trunk needs to be changed to enable nagging in the presence of <nag/>

Except that you're indicating it was a local modification.

Which means in all likelyhood someone should be pointing a finger at me.
Sorry :-$

LSD

Re: vmgump official w/ notification

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@apache.org>.

XPP2 (was Re: vmgump official w/ notification)

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@apache.org>.
> That  said, seems we have some package work to do. [2] [3]
> [...]
> [2] http://vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/project_todos.html
> [3] http://vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/xpp/xpp2/index.html

I couldn't find a downloadable jar, but I built (using the ant that Gump
built :-) the jar into place. Since XPP2 isn't developed any more it doesn't
seem to make sense to make this a built component in Gump, just leave it as
a package.

regards,

Adam

P.S. See how nice JIRA would have been? We'd have a JIRA entry (probably on
project Gump) that stated XPP was missing, and my comment would be
associated with that, commenting on this occurring during a server move, &
closed.

Re: vmgump official w/ notification

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On 26-05-2005 17:42, "Adam  Jack" <aj...@mric.coop> wrote:
> I've enabled public on vmgump [1] to (1) do an official build each day and
> (2) deliver notifications via e-mail when it does.  With Brutus gone, it
> seems time.

Thanks! I was a bit scared to do that with just me as admin :-)

Let's just go and create local accounts for everyone. Berin's time is up :-)

Cheers!

LSD