Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by "Guijie (Maggie) Ma" <mm...@wernergl.com> on 2007/02/09 09:26:06 UTC

about Maven release-plugin

Hi,

I'm a user of Maven and Maven is very good for my work. But in the use, we have found a problem: when we do the project release, e.g. mvn release:prepare, we need input the release version and the new development version manually for each modules.
I want to know whether release-plugin can help do this work. If we want to do some modification or promotion, what problem dose it have? Can the developers give us some suggestion or help?

Thank you very much!

Maggie Ma

Re: about Maven release-plugin

Posted by "Guijie (Maggie) Ma" <mm...@wernergl.com>.
I mean the release versions and development versions should be input manually now. I want to know if I want the release-plugin to create the version number automatically, what could we do?

Thank you!

Maggie

>>> Edwin Punzalan <ep...@exist.com> 2/11/2007 10:03 PM >>>

What do you mean?

Currently, it removes the SNAPSHOT for released versions and increments
with a SNAPSHOT version for development versions.

That's not enough?

Posted by Edwin Punzalan <ep...@exist.com>.
What do you mean?

Posted by "Guijie (Maggie) Ma" <mm...@wernergl.com>.
Thank you for your reply. I see.

Maggie

>>> Edwin Punzalan <ep...@exist.com> 2/11/2007 11:53 PM >>>

unfortunately, you can't.  If in continuum, the user is prompted for all
the versions.

What the plugin does however is suggest a default, which is what it
currently does.  Of course, the default isn't always appropriate for all
cases, but generally it should suffice.

If you want a new algorithm or calculation in mind to use as default,
you can suggest it in jira and we can probably think about implementing
it or supporting it in one of the future versions.

Posted by Edwin Punzalan <ep...@exist.com>.

Posted by "Guijie (Maggie) Ma" <mm...@wernergl.com>.
Yes, for the application of our company, we hope to release different modules with different version. Could we do any modification to the  source code of Maven release-plugin? What suggestion about that?

Maggie

On 12 Feb 07, at 1:04 AM 12 Feb 07, Barrie Treloar wrote:

> On 2/12/07, Guijie (Maggie) Ma <mm...@wernergl.com> wrote:
>> But if there are more than one module and there are dependency
>> between, the change of one module can lead the  version changes of
>> other modules. The change rule of version number should be
>> different, not all be updated from 0.5.0-SNAPSHOT to 0.5.1-
>> SNAPSHOT, maybe from 0.5.0-SNAPSHOT to 0.6.0-SNAPSHOT.
>>
>> Could I change the rule of the version identification ? Thank you!
>
> I believe Maven has designed Modules to be released as a group.

People generally in practice release modules together. But there is
nothing stopping you from patching maven-core and releasing that and
popping it in your $M2_HOME/lib directory for example. From a large
application with many modules it would be convenient to just upgrade
the few modules that have changed.

> They are an all or nothing concept.  You do not release modules
> individually.

Not sure where that notion came from. Nothing stops you from
releasing an individual module.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Edwin Punzalan <ep...@exist.com>.
well although this about Maven and modules *may* be true, the release
plugin can release the modules with a different versions than what is
declared in the parent.  That's why the release plugin prompts for the
release/dev versions even though the project will inherit them.  If you
specified a different version than what is inherited, then the release
plugin will put the necessary <version> element in the pom.

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Guijie (Maggie) Ma" <mm...@wernergl.com>.

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Guijie (Maggie) Ma" <mm...@wernergl.com>.