Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Jonathan Borden <jb...@mediaone.net> on 2000/03/18 04:43:25 UTC

debugging/dev environment?

What are people using for debugging environments?

I was using IBMs VisualAge 3.0 with Tomcat 3.1M1 but when I 'upgraded' to
Tomcat 3.1Beta, it stopped working (yes, I uninstalled everyting and
reinstalled everything, unzipped all the jars, even deleted the "Tomcat
Version 3" project and totally rebuilt it).

I just can't get it working now, especially with Cocoon. various weird
problems (my hunch it that its a class loader issue). Tomcat/Cocoon work
fine standalone.

Any ideas? Other recs? Is anyone using Forte?

Thanks in advance.

Jonathan Borden

Re: debugging/dev environment?

Posted by Jonathan Borden <jb...@mediaone.net>.
Pierpaolo Fumagalli wrote:
> That's why I like my CTO :)

I assume you are paid by the hour and not by the (debugged) project :-)

> Pier
>
> Arkin wrote:
> >
> > System.out.println()

Been there, done that. Still do  when I need to, but as they say, life is
short.

In particular, I find that when I am learning a new project, a visual
debugger is the most efficient way for me to learn code paths.

Posted by Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org>.
That's why I like my CTO :)

	Pier

<ma...@betaversion.org>      <http://www.betaversion.org/~pier/>

RE: What works for you? (Was: debugging/dev environment?)

Posted by David Duddleston <da...@i2a.com>.

FAQ-O-MATIC is dead

Posted by Hans Bergsten <ha...@gefionsoftware.com>.
Seems like MySQL is not running:

  java.sql.SQLException: Cannot connect to MySQL server on localhost:3306.

Hans
--
Hans Bergsten		hans@gefionsoftware.com

RE: What works for you? (Was: debugging/dev environment?)

Posted by "Preston L. Bannister" <pr...@home.com>.

From: jon * [mailto:jon@clearink.com]
> Kawa kicks ass.  <http://www.tek-tools.com/>

I've looked at Kawa a couple times previously, but the combination of
a third rate editor, no debugger and no graphical GUI layout was not
very interesting.  Certainly not kick-ass.  It's been a while :).

Very interesting is the announcement on the Kawa site that they will
be integrating with CodeWright (a first-rate Windows editor).
It will be interesting to see the result (April 1 is the date).

Re: What works for you? (Was: debugging/dev environment?)

Posted by jon * <jo...@clearink.com>.
on 3/19/00 1:05 PM, Preston L. Bannister <pr...@home.com> wrote:

> I'm using Windows NT for most of my software development development,
> but I wonder if GNU Emacs with (perhaps) DDD as a jdb front end
> might be a useful combination.  Anyone tried this?
>
> Anyone found a particularly good working combination?

Kawa kicks ass.

<http://www.tek-tools.com/>

-jon

RE: What works for you? (Was: debugging/dev environment?)

Posted by "Preston L. Bannister" <pr...@home.com>.
From: Ethan Wallwork [mailto:ethan.wallwork@net-linx.com]
> Is there a true requirement to interoperate with ANT?  Tomcat is all Java,
> so in theory anything that can compile a set of java files should work.
> VisualAge can compile Tomcat, if you can hunt down all the necessary source
> files and resources in the distribution.  Does anyone know of a reason why
> simply compiling all the .java files would not produce a working Tomcat?

You can do this in theory, but the problem is that it is not practical.

I've done this with both Jetty and Tomcat, but after a while the "real"
build process changes, and your local build starts failing.  After this
happens enough times --- well it's just not fun anymore :).

RE: What works for you? (Was: debugging/dev environment?)

Posted by Ethan Wallwork <et...@net-linx.com>.

[snip]

You can find a VisualAge CVS tool (vaj2cvs) at www.javadude.com
(http://javadude.com/vaj/resources/tools2x.html).  It works reasonably well,
although it does require cvs to be set up in a pserver configuration.

[snip]

--
Ethan

What works for you? (Was: debugging/dev environment?)

Posted by "Preston L. Bannister" <pr...@home.com>.
From: arkin@arkin.exoffice.com

Posted by Arkin <ar...@exoffice.com>.
System.out.println()