Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Cameron McCormack <ca...@mcc.id.au> on 2006/12/28 04:53:39 UTC

Logo, about box

Hi everyone.

I liked Andy Fitzsimon’s entry[1] to the SVG Logo contest (which in the
end didn’t win), so I thought I’d try to adapt it for Batik.  I think we
need two images: one as the logo that will go at the top of the new
website, and one that can be used as Squiggle’s about screen.

For the small logo for the website, I came up with:

  http://arc.mcc.id.au/temp/2006/batik1.png

and a background-less version:

  http://arc.mcc.id.au/temp/2006/batik2.png

And this is how they’d look at the top of the website:

  http://arc.mcc.id.au/temp/2006/logoshot1.png
  http://arc.mcc.id.au/temp/2006/logoshot2.png

For the about box:

  http://arc.mcc.id.au/temp/2006/about.png

The motif behind the Close button in the corner is (a variant of) the
actual winning logo[2] in the SVG Logo contest.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Cameron

[1] http://www.svglogo.com/Andy_Fitzsimon.svg
[2] http://www.svglogo.com/Harvey_Rayner.svg

--
Cameron McCormack, http://mcc.id.au/

Re: Logo, about box

Posted by The Web Maestro <th...@gmail.com>.
On 1/1/07, thomas.deweese@kodak.com <th...@kodak.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>    I played with the colors and got this:
>
>      http://people.apache.org/~deweese/newcolors.png
>
>    This is my color block from skinconf.xml (note that I couldn't change
> the 'selected' text in the menu, I think this is supposed to be controlled
> by
> 'toolbox' but it doesn't work for me):

Nice work! I like the change! Shows how easy color changes can be in Forrest.

Thanks for the nudge, Gav!

The Web Maestro
--
<th...@gmail.com> - <http://homepage.mac.com/webmaestro/>
- HH The 14th Dalai Lama of Tibet

Re: Logo, about box

Posted by Cameron McCormack <ca...@mcc.id.au>.
Gav....:
> Hmm, that is correct. Taking a look at /main/webapp/skins/pelt/css/profile.css.xslt
> You will see :-
>
> <xsl:template match="color[@name='toolbox']">
> #menu .menupagetitle  { background-color: <xsl:value-of select="@value"/>;
>   color: <xsl:value-of select="@font"/>;}
> </xsl:template>
>
> As it is being processed by this xslt, if you trying to see differences by
> Refreshing in a webapp, you wont see them, you need to stop/start jetty
> To see them.
>
> You could, instead, try adding the color property to the /pelt/css/screen.css
> And add it into the #menu .menupagetitle directly and see if it works for you
> Then, but colours are not normally added in here (this changes with forrest
> 0.8-dev version).

I’ve had to update forrest to 0.8-dev to avoid some bugs in the Demo
page.

> Also, it might be worth adding in a 'tab-unselected' entry into skinconf
> To change the backgrounds of the unselected tabs, maybe to the lighter
> Putple of the logo so these too will blend in better.

Done.

> Where are you guys playing with this ? I could not see it in SVN anywhere where
> Others could see the code you are playing with. Once done, how are you planning
> On updating the website? Forrest has a /site/ directory in SVN where a built
> Site gets deployed. From there it is grabbed with a cron job with the main
> Forrest website space being a working copy.

I’ve been doing it in my local copy, but I just checked in Thomas’ and
my changes.  It’s looking pretty good now.  I think all that would be
left to do is:

  ▪ get the Demo page working in IE
  ▪ change the colours in the diagrams to match the new theme
  ▪ clean up the pages in the Development tab (which have become
    slightly out of date, or haven’t been written yet)
  ▪ see if there are some more contributors to add to the Contributors
    page (and stick some Xs in Dieter’s column in the expertise table)

For deployment, I was going to have a look at how fop’s doing site
updates (forrestbot I think).

--
Cameron McCormack, http://mcc.id.au/

RE: Logo, about box

Posted by "Gav...." <br...@brightontown.com.au>.

[...]

Gav...

    <color name="heading"      value="#a5b6c6"/>
    <color name="subheading"   value="#CFDCED"/>
    <color name="body"         value="#ffffff"
                               link="#0F3660" vlink="#009999" hlink="#000066"/>
    <color name="published"    value="#482980" font="#DDCCFF"/>
    <color name="footer"       value="#cedfef"/>
    <color name="table"        value="#a5b6c6"/>
    <color name="table-cell"   value="#ffffff"/>
    <color name="menu"         value="#482980" font="#dfceef"
                               link="#ffffff" vlink="#ffffff" hlink="#ffcf00"/>
    <color name="tab-selected" value="#482980"
                               link="#DDCCFF" vlink="#DDCCFF" hlink="#AAAAEE"/>
    <color name="subtab-selected"   value="#482980"
                               link="#DDCCFF" vlink="#DDCCFF" hlink="#AAAAEE"/>
    <color name="subtab-unselected" value="#482980"
                               link="#DDCCFF" vlink="#DDCCFF" hlink="#AAAAEE"/>
    <color name="subheading"   value="#482980"/>
    <color name="navstrip"     value="#482980" font="#ffffff"
                               link="#DDCCFF" vlink="#DDCCFF" hlink="#AAAAEE"/>
    <color name="toolbox"      value="#6038b0" font="#ffcf00"/>
    <color name="dialog"       value="#482980"/>
    <color name="searchbox"    value="#482980" font="#000000"/>

"Gav...." <br...@brightontown.com.au> wrote on 01/01/2007 08:11:14 AM:

> Hi All,

RE: Logo, about box

Posted by th...@kodak.com.

RE: Logo, about box

Posted by "Gav...." <br...@brightontown.com.au>.
Hi All,

Hi Cameron,

Cameron McCormack <ca...@mcc.id.au> wrote on 12/31/2006 11:21:19 PM:

> Thomas DeWeese:
> >    I think it might look pretty good with the more traditional
> > purple/blue that has been used in Batik logo's of the past.
> > Look at the background of the current logo.
>
> Ok here?s some versions with the purple/blue.  I?ve also put the
> Squiggle mark back in:

   I like these, especially the "about box" version.  The one
nit pick I would have is that my eye keeps expecting to
see more of the 'squiggle' in the middle of the 'b' in batik,
I'm not certain what to do about it since I like it's global
position.  As I say this is a real nit.

> Here it is in the docs:
>
>   http://arc.mcc.id.au/temp/2007/shot2.png
>
> It looks less out of place now.  The last thing that looks a bit wrong
> is that the purple colour is not different enough from the dark blue of
> the menu.  WDYT?

   I don't think the difference is that bad (although the colors
definitely
do clash a little).  Actually my tendency would be to do a Batik color
skin
for Forrest (so the colors match) but I suspect that would be an insane
amount of work.  I'd avoid changing the Logo colors just because I don't
think the menu blue would harmonize as well with the purple.

   All of which is to say that while it gives a little 'mismatched'
feel to the page, I don't think it's bad.  It might help if you
used the version with the 'sun rays' as this would make the Batik logo
more identified as a separate item on the page, as opposed to trying
to look like a page header...

   Mostly, I'm just throwing out ideas, I'm basically happy with it
the way it is (you can futz with these things forever if you let
yourself).

Re: Logo, about box

Posted by Cameron McCormack <ca...@mcc.id.au>.
Thomas DeWeese:

Re: Logo, about box

Posted by The Web Maestro <th...@gmail.com>.
On 12/30/06, Cameron McCormack <ca...@mcc.id.au> wrote:
> The Web Maestro:
> > I hope everyone else likes green!
>
> Heh yeah, that's my one reservation, it's very green.
>
> > My son Jeremy's favorite animal is the crocodile and his favorite
> > color is... green! So you got his vote!
>
> So I guess that means you don't care for it? :)  The other colour scheme
> I was thinking of was the Apache feather colours.  They're quite a bit
> stronger than the green, though, so I'm not sure if they'd work.

Let's just say, I've grown to like green. I'm a pretty green guy
anyway, so it's got my 'vote'. ;-)

Web Maestro Clay

The Web Maestro
--

Cameron McCormack <ca...@mcc.id.au> wrote on 12/30/2006 06:57:25 PM:

> The Web Maestro:
> > I hope everyone else likes green!
>
> So I guess that means you don?t care for it? :)

   I don't care for the "Avocado Green".

> The other colour scheme I was thinking of was the Apache
> feather colours.  They?re quite a bit stronger than the green,
> though, so I?m not sure if they?d work.

   I think it might look pretty good with the more traditional
purple/blue that has been used in Batik logo's of the past.
Look at the background of the current logo.

>>> and a background-less version:
>>>
>>>   http://arc.mcc.id.au/temp/2006/batik2.png

   The "Java SVG Toolkit" should be in the
'dark green' (or what ever replaces it) that
makes up the outline color of the Batik, Black
IMHO doesn't look right.

Re: Logo, about box

Posted by Cameron McCormack <ca...@mcc.id.au>.
The Web Maestro:

Re: Logo, about box

Posted by The Web Maestro <th...@gmail.com>.
Cameron,

On 12/27/06, Cameron McCormack <ca...@mcc.id.au> wrote:
> Cameron McCormack:
> > I liked Andy Fitzsimon's entry[1] to the SVG Logo contest (which in the
> > end didn't win), so I thought I'd try to adapt it for Batik.
>
> And I did ask him for permission to use it.

I hope everyone else likes green! My son Jeremy's favorite animal is

Re: Logo, about box

Posted by Cameron McCormack <ca...@mcc.id.au>.
Cameron McCormack: