Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by John Lilley <jo...@redpoint.net> on 2016/01/26 17:25:06 UTC

Is HBase standalone viable for production?

We would like to build software using HBase and Phoenix without necessarily requiring the Hadoop ecosystem for smaller deployments and I have some basic concerns:
-- Is this a viable strategy?
-- Does HBase/Pheonix standalone ever get used in production?
-- Does this configuration get Tested?
-- Is standalone HBase crippled in any significant way (other than redundancy and lack of scaling, obviously)

Thanks
John

Re: Is HBase standalone viable for production?

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Sorry for the late response John.

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 8:25 AM, John Lilley <jo...@redpoint.net>
wrote:

> We would like to build software using HBase and Phoenix without
> necessarily requiring the Hadoop ecosystem for smaller deployments and I
> have some basic concerns:
> -- Is this a viable strategy?
> -- Does HBase/Pheonix standalone ever get used in production?

I've heard of instances of HBase being used standalone in production
(caveat the 'obviously' clause you note later in this email) to do things
like  host an opentsdb instance on a medium sized cluster.

> -- Does this configuration get Tested?

Its how we do most of our unit testing and this is what most of us dev
against.

> -- Is standalone HBase crippled in any significant way (other than
> redundancy and lack of scaling, obviously)

Not that I know of.

St.Ack