Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Seth Delackner <se...@jtan.com> on 2003/04/16 18:17:26 UTC

configure doesn't see mod_dav

since no one replied to my last query, I ask
again, what do you have to do to get subversion's
configure phase to notice that apache2 was built
with mod_dav?

    checking for static Apache module support...
    configure: error: no - Unable to locate
    /usr/local/apache2/modules/dav/main/mod_dav.h

Well, of course.  It isn't there. Some bash output
showing it is elsewhere:

bash-2.05a$ ls /usr/local/apache2/modules/
httpd.exp
bash-2.05a$ ls /usr/local/apache2/include/mod_dav*
/usr/local/apache2/include/mod_dav.h

Apache2 config.log:
./configure --enable-dav --enable-so --enable-dav-fs --with-ssl=/sw --enable
-deflate --with-berkeley-db=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.1 --prefix=/usr/local/apache
2
[...]
configure:12284: checking whether to enable mod_dav
configure:12322: result: yes (default)

Subversion 0.19.1 config.log:
./configure --enable-maintainer-mode --with-apr=/usr/local/apache2 --with-ap
r-util=/usr/local/apache2 --with-neon=/usr/local --with-apache=/usr/local/apache
2 --with-apxs=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs --with-berkeley-db=/usr/local/Berkeley
DB.4.1

Re: configure doesn't see mod_dav

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 02:23:04PM -0700, Matt Kraai wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 11:28:40AM -0700, Greg Stein wrote:
> > The --with-apache line says "build me static support". In other words, get
> > things set up for you to statically link mod_dav_svn directly into Apache.
> > Thus, the system requires Apache source to function. It is saying that it
> > can't find the source file (.../modules/dav/main/mod_dav.h).
> >
> > Just drop the --with-apache line. The --with-apxs will point the system at
> > your installed Apache, and a dynamically loadable mod_dav_svn.so will be
> > built for you.
>
> Should configure error out if both are specified?

I don't think so. You might want to build both for some inane reason. We
currently allow building both shared and static, for example.

I could certainly see a case for --with-apache failing, seeing that
--with-apxs was specified (or found to be available), and noting in the
error message something like "are you sure you want --with-apache? I am able
to build a dynamically loadable module".  Somethin' like that, maybe.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: configure doesn't see mod_dav

Posted by Matt Kraai <kr...@alumni.cmu.edu>.
On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 11:28:40AM -0700, Greg Stein wrote:
> The --with-apache line says "build me static support". In other words, get
> things set up for you to statically link mod_dav_svn directly into Apache.
> Thus, the system requires Apache source to function. It is saying that it
> can't find the source file (.../modules/dav/main/mod_dav.h).
>
> Just drop the --with-apache line. The --with-apxs will point the system at
> your installed Apache, and a dynamically loadable mod_dav_svn.so will be
> built for you.

Should configure error out if both are specified?

Matt
--
Matt Kraai <kr...@alumni.cmu.edu>
Debian GNU/Linux Peon

Re: Linking error with --apxs & separately build apr (Re: configure doesn't see mod_dav)

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
--On Wednesday, April 16, 2003 21:58:01 +0300 Jani Averbach <ja...@cc.jyu.fi>
wrote:

> If you build apr and apr-utils separately and after that httpd  and svn
> against them, you will get linking error during link phase of
> mod_dav_svn.so because subversion try find libtool from httpd's install
> directory when in fact it is laying in apr's <inst_root>/build-directory.

This is due to the fact that apxs assumes apr is in-tree.  I think Thom May
and Jeff Trawick over on the dev@httpd.apache.org list have posted about it
and bandied about some suggestions for fixing it.  -- justin

Linking error with --apxs & separately build apr (Re: configure doesn't see mod_dav)

Posted by Jani Averbach <ja...@cc.jyu.fi>.
On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Greg Stein wrote:

This is an lame bug/error report, I try produce more specific (and/or
solution also) during easter.

> Just drop the --with-apache line. The --with-apxs will point the system at
> your installed Apache, and a dynamically loadable mod_dav_svn.so will be
> built for you.

If you build apr and apr-utils separately and after that httpd  and svn
against them, you will get linking error during link phase of
mod_dav_svn.so because subversion try find libtool from httpd's install
directory when in fact it is laying in apr's <inst_root>/build-directory.

I did a quick fix, and made symbolic link:
httpd/build/libtool -> apr/build/libtool,
after that linking and make check (dav) passed happily. However I am not
sure if it is correct solution to use apr's libtool to link
mod_dav_svn.so.

I don't know if this is a fault in apr, httpd or svn.

httpd:    2.0.45
apr:      cvs (20030410T170443Z)
apr-util: cvs (20030401T175018Z)
svn:      5598
OS:       GNU/Linux

BR, Jani

--
Jani Averbach

Re: configure doesn't see mod_dav

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 06:17:26PM +0000, Seth Delackner wrote:
> since no one replied to my last query, I ask
> again,

Thanks. Sometimes we miss things or don't get to them. Reposting is always
fine and appreciated.