Posted to dev@streampipes.apache.org by Florian Micklich <mi...@apache.org> on 2020/06/03 22:10:31 UTC

Implementing Geometry reprojection

Hi all,

I am happy to inform that I implemented a basic geometry reprojection
for JTS geometries.

What is reprojection or transformation and why it is important?
Basically changing the coordinate system CRS from one system e.g. WGS84
to another CRS system e.g. UTM

Why is reprojection import:
There are three possible areas of application:
1. The user wants to change the geometry CRS .
2. If using 2 geometries. e.g. distance measurement, both geometries
has to be in the same CRS and if not, one geometry has to be
transformed.
3. If special calculations are required that has to take place in a
metric CRS like UTM, a backend projection has to be done.

So far there are no JTS wrapper available, which can be used under
Apache license.

So I had to implement own methods to do so.
This is so far working for Point, Line, Polygon and MultiPoint
geometries. MultiLineString und MultiPolygon is a little bit more
complicated and will be done later.

Before committing this, the Apache SIS EPSG database has to be
implemented we discussed before as a registration in web application
containers.

Greetings
Florian