Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by Jake Farrell <jf...@apache.org> on 2016/01/09 18:46:53 UTC

Thoughts on a 0.9.4 rc

What does everyone think about cutting a 0.9.4 release candidate in the
next week or so?

-Jake

Re: Versions, patches and limited resources (was: Thoughts on a 0.9.4 rc)

Posted by Yuxuan Wang <yu...@reddit.com.INVALID>.
+1 to what Allen said.

Regarding 1.0, the main problem is backward compatibility expectations from
semantic versions. With so many languages supported in thrift, basically if
we ever make any breaking change from any of the language libraries we need
to bump the major version to comply with semver, which can be problematic.

Posted by Allen George <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jens -

Posted by Randy Abernethy <ra...@rx-m.com>.

Posted by Jens Geyer <je...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jens Geyer <je...@apache.org>.
Hi,

we have received all in one week

  * a request to release an updated 0.9.1 (!)

  * a request to release 0.15.1 for one minor Java change

  * a request to release 0.16.1 for one minor compiler code change

That raises two questions:

     a) again if we should continue with 0.x as before or if it may be
time to switch to 1.x

     b) how is it supposed to work out in the first place.

It's not that I don't want to provide the patches, and to me its a good
sign that there is obviously enough people out therw who like what we
are doing here. But like everyone elses my time is limited as well. And
I have a strong feeling that once we open that door, we come to weekly
releases very soon, which would then be a fulltime job.

Bottom line: Everybody wants an update, but nobody wants to do it -
understandable, because the whole process is time consuming.

What we could do to fix the urgent needs, except for 0.9.1 provide only
those packages that was asked for, i.e Java and the compiler (for C#).
But again, the current approach does not scale.

JensG

Re: Thoughts on a 0.9.4 rc

Posted by Aki Sukegawa <ns...@apache.org>.
> the concept of a public "API" for Thrift is multifaceted

Indeed. I would categorize them by type of usages:
1. RPC users: use/implement generated service
2. serialization users: use generated struct (e.g. with Kafka)
3. advanced serialization users: directly call protocol write/readXxx (e.g.
projects like Parquet or scrooge)

> if change in the PHP lib mandates rolling over the version number

It seems unavoidable.
Alternatives like version-per-language+layer is complicated in practice.

Another point to consider is cross version compatibility breaks for
minor/patch releases:
A. cross version generated code and library
B. cross version client and server

IMO A. is safely allowed but B. is a major version bump.
Because normally A. only needs rebuild on a single host but B. needs
coordinated upgrade across multiple hosts.
Allowing B thus means that any version expression like "~X.X.X" or "^X.X.X"
is dangerous and should not be used for Thrift.

For me, the minimum scope of public API compat is 1 and B above.
2 and maybe 3 for Java only seems reasonable too.
Concretely, largely quoting BCG,
## 1
* IDL file format
* the CLI (compiler flags)
* the common means of instantiating servers and clients in the various
language libs
  (including setStringLengthLimit, setCertPath etc)
* generated service interface
* communication behaviors (on timeout, unknown handler exception etc)
## B
* wire format
## 2
* generated struct methods
* TMemoryBuffer methods (or Transport read/write in general ?)
## 3
* (the semantics of the read* and write* methods)

Re: Thoughts on a 0.9.4 rc

Posted by BCG <bg...@hushmail.com>.

Re: Thoughts on a 0.9.4 rc

Posted by Aki Sukegawa <ns...@apache.org>.
In my observation, projects with semver tend to be forced to bump major
versions rather frequently.
So something like CMake in 2.0 or C++11 in 3.0 is not a big deal, because
it's not likely we have long standing 1.x anyway.

That said, I'm not particularly against any 1.0 plan and 0.10.0 would be
nice if 1.0 is controversial.

Re: Thoughts on a 0.9.4 rc

Posted by Jens Geyer <je...@hotmail.com>.
Hi *,

Re: Thoughts on a 0.9.4 rc

Posted by Roger Meier <ro...@bufferoverflow.ch>.
Hi cross communicators!

Quoting Aki Sukegawa <ns...@apache.org>:

> conventional_changelog seems to have a lot of over-wrap with current JIRA
> based one.
yes, there is an overlap but we have it already, also with GitHub.

> What is pros and cons of this ? Obvious ones are:
> pros:
> * lightweight
* based on git data only
* directly see if a commit is a feature, fix, style change, etc.
* become able to generate a useful CHANGELOG.md out from the git repo
   (issue trackers might change, but git history and commit messages stay)
* many projects are using it, especially in the web, node.js area, e.g.
   * Mozilla Accounts(fxa-xy)
   * angular.js
   * We use it internally on a platform and made very good experiences

> cons:
> * handling typo, wrong/forgotten tags etc is tricky
* people need to understand and follow the rules

however, it depends on a proper description such as this one:
https://github.com/fossology/fossology/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md#git-commit-conventions

> The version number might not matter that much to poeple but maybe it does
> more to tools.
> npm et al. are more likely to be configured to automatically pull
> patch/minor version bumps.
> In this regard, 1.0.0 might be nicer because automatic pull is overtly
> inappropriate for this release IMO, at least for python and node.
yes, I agree we should go for 1.0.0 as we have decided some months ago.

Happy coding!
-roger

Re: Thoughts on a 0.9.4 rc

Posted by Roger Meier <ro...@bufferoverflow.ch>.
Thanks Randy!

To be honest I see it the other way around;-)

1. C++11 (replace boost with std, etc.)
2. Python 3 (Is already in place)
3. CMake (more to do, but autoconf is still available)

happy coding!
roger

Re: Thoughts on a 0.9.4 rc

Posted by Randy Abernethy <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: Thoughts on a 0.9.4 rc

Posted by Aki Sukegawa <ns...@apache.org>.

Re: Thoughts on a 0.9.4 rc

Author: David Soria Parra <ds...@php.net>

Re: Thoughts on a 0.9.4 rc

Posted by Jens Geyer <je...@hotmail.com>.
Hi,

In general, I'm a proponent of more frequent releases. We had some mails
last year and the consensus that I remember was to have something around 3
or 4 releases per year would be the optimum (correct me if I'm wrong).

How we number them ... well, as a matter of fact, Thrift is already widely
used in production. The languages on the market and their capabilities are
constantly changing and will continue to do so, and so is Thrift, because of
it's very nature of being a connectivity-enabling framework. So more than
with most other software, there will never be /the/ one, 100% complete and
100% final Thrift version, because things change and Thrift needs to be
constantly adapted.

Version numbers around 1.0 are more a kind of a psychological thing: Below
1.0, the project devs have more freedom with what they do, because "the
product is not final". So you kinda fly under the radar. This changes with
 >= 1.0 and after. People are now looking more closely, but they also take
the whole thing more seriously, because obviously someone considered it
being "ready to market".

Last not least, I personally have no strong opinions about the numbering
scheme (anymore), so whatever decision we come up with, I'm fine with either
one.

@Aki: The original plans were to release 1.0 after 0.9.3. I added the 0.9.4
tag to JIRA, and that's how all of a sudden the plan started to change ...
;-)

Have fun,
JensG

Re: Thoughts on a 0.9.4 rc