Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by Talat UYARER <ta...@agmlab.com> on 2013/10/14 16:56:41 UTC

Release Plan

Hi,

I wonder Do we have any release plan for Nutch 2.3. What do we need for
release 2.3 ?

Talat

Re: Release Plan

Posted by Talat UYARER <ta...@agmlab.com>.
Hi Julien,

Thank you for detailed information.

21-10-2013 17:08 tarihinde, Julien Nioche yazdı:
> Hi Talat
>
> Thanks for informations. I think we need plan for open development. If you
>> are newbie contributer same as me, you cant know which release should need
>> which improvement.
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NUTCH#selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project%3Aroadmap-panel
I use this url for hunting new bugs :)
>> Until my question I dont know we need GORA-119 development for 2.3. That
>> is not written in Jira.
>>
> not explicitly but in the case of Nutch 2 pretty much everything JIRA entry
> for Gora is relevant. This particular one has also been mentioned numerous
> times on the mailing list.
Sorry I passed it. But it is good for me. I start analyze to gora-119
for what i can do :)
>> But if we make a plan for major improvements of every release. And they
>> are written down on a wiki page.
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/Nutch2Roadmap is outdated, which probably
> shows that we tried it before and found it did not help that much to have a
> formal roadmap
But may be we can try again. Because when newbie, it can be hard to
understand sometings.

>> Furthermore, If we have a relase date for every next version, may be our
>> commercial user can help our development.
> Now my company use nutch for their works. They develop a lot of improvement
>> but they dont commit us because of they dont know our release plan.
>
> Not helping to improve things because you don't know when and what will be
> added next has a bit of a strange logic to it IMHO, whereas contributing
> because you want things to improve definitely helps with releasing
> frequently. Bear in mind that Nutch is driven by its community, not by
> top-down decisions on what should be done next and when. Things get
> released when there are substantial improvements to justify a release, not
> to suit some arbitrary schedule.
>
> BTW most existing contributors (committers included) are commercial users
I see. We can forgot my offer :)
>> What do think about this subjects ?
>>
> It can't be a bad thing to try and put on paper some sort of roadmap.
> Although for Nutch 2 it's mostly about making is more efficient (mostly
> GORA related stuff), fix bugs reported in JIRA and move functionalities
> that are in Nutch 1.x
>
> I don't know who's actively working on 2.x these days (Markus, Sebastian
> and myself use 1.x)
We use actively 2.x is there anyone ? :) Maybe we create Who use Nutch ?
page.
> but if you think having a roadmap for 2.x would help
> then feel free to start a new discussion on the mailing list and update the
> Wiki I mentioned above.
Actually I have some opinion. But they needs think for then now. I will
update NutchRoadmap ASAP.

> Thanks for sharing your thoughts
>
> Julien

Thanks for your passion to my newbie question. :)
Talat.

1

Re: Release Plan

Posted by Julien Nioche <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi Talat

Thanks for informations. I think we need plan for open development. If you
> are newbie contributer same as me, you cant know which release should need
> which improvement.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NUTCH#selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project%3Aroadmap-panel

> Until my question I dont know we need GORA-119 development for 2.3. That
> is not written in Jira.

not explicitly but in the case of Nutch 2 pretty much everything JIRA entry
for Gora is relevant. This particular one has also been mentioned numerous
times on the mailing list.

> But if we make a plan for major improvements of every release. And they
> are written down on a wiki page.

http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/Nutch2Roadmap is outdated, which probably
shows that we tried it before and found it did not help that much to have a
formal roadmap

> Furthermore, If we have a relase date for every next version, may be our
> commercial user can help our development.

Now my company use nutch for their works. They develop a lot of improvement
> but they dont commit us because of they dont know our release plan.

Not helping to improve things because you don't know when and what will be
added next has a bit of a strange logic to it IMHO, whereas contributing
because you want things to improve definitely helps with releasing
frequently. Bear in mind that Nutch is driven by its community, not by
top-down decisions on what should be done next and when. Things get
released when there are substantial improvements to justify a release, not
to suit some arbitrary schedule.

BTW most existing contributors (committers included) are commercial users

> What do think about this subjects ?

It can't be a bad thing to try and put on paper some sort of roadmap.
Although for Nutch 2 it's mostly about making is more efficient (mostly
GORA related stuff), fix bugs reported in JIRA and move functionalities
that are in Nutch 1.x

I don't know who's actively working on 2.x these days (Markus, Sebastian
and myself use 1.x) but if you think having a roadmap for 2.x would help

--
*

http://digitalpebble.blogspot.com/
http://www.digitalpebble.com
http://twitter.com/digitalpebble

Re: Release Plan

Posted by Talat UYARER <ta...@agmlab.com>.
Hi Julien,

Thanks for informations. I think we need plan for open development. If
you are newbie contributer same as me, you cant know which release
should need which improvement. Until my question I dont know we need
GORA-119 development for 2.3. That is not written in Jira.

But if we make a plan for major improvements of every release. And they
are written down on a wiki page. Furthermore, If we have a relase date
for every next version, may be our commercial user can help our
development. Now my company use nutch for their works. They develop a
lot of improvement but they dont commit us because of they dont know our
release plan. What do think about this subjects ?

Re: Release Plan

Posted by Julien Nioche <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi Talat

--