Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org> on 2004/08/15 06:17:35 UTC

findbugs: 147 bugs in lenya

i found out about findbugs today, a static error checker for java.

http://findbugs.sf.net

running it on the lenya codebase produces interesting results.

here are some samples:

streams are not closed on all paths (32 ocurrences)
return value of function is ignored (11)
suspicious equals() comparison (5)
checking string equality using == (1)
mutable static field (21)
incorrect definition of serializable class (4)
unsafe inheritance (3)

i strongly suggest to download findbugs and run it for yourself. the
stream leaks could explain why we had many locking problems on windows.

once we have these bugs fixed, it would also be interesting to run it on
our dependencies..

-gregor

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
http://wyona.com                   http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya

Re: findbugs: 147 bugs in lenya

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

[...]

> i didnt get the eclipse plugin to work

It works for me. Two pitfalls:

- the configuration pane in project properties appears
   only when you call the properties window from the Java
   perspective

- you have to enable the findbugs messages in the filter
   dialog of the problems view

-- Andreas

Re: findbugs: 147 bugs in lenya

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Rolf Kulemann wrote:

> On Sun, 2004-08-15 at 06:17, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
>
>>i found out about findbugs today, a static error checker for java.
>>
>>http://findbugs.sf.net
>>
>>running it on the lenya codebase produces interesting results.
>

> Excellent, I will try it out, and add it to my personal favorits
> toolbox.
>
> Is it plugable into eclipse or can we add it on build time to the ant
> scripts?

i didnt get the eclipse plugin to work, but there is an ant task. maybe
we should invest some time trying to get lenya built with gump. i am
further wondering if gump could provide further analysis like
checkstyle, pmd and findbugs?

-gregor

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 2004-08-15 at 06:17, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> i found out about findbugs today, a static error checker for java.
>
> http://findbugs.sf.net
>
> running it on the lenya codebase produces interesting results.

Excellent, I will try it out, and add it to my personal favorits
toolbox.

Is it plugable into eclipse or can we add it on build time to the ant
scripts?

Thx.
--
Rolf Kulemann