Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Kenji Kikuchi <ke...@ctc-g.co.jp> on 2007/12/03 03:30:55 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Apache 2.2.3 rotatelogs.exe on Windows

Hi

I have tested 2.2.3, 2.2.4 and 2.2.6 with following directive on WindowsXP.
  -----
  ErrorLog "| c:/apache2/bin/rotatelogs.exe c:/apache2/logs/%Y%m%d_error.log 86400"
  -----

Somehow I can't start 2.2.4 httpd.exe from tray icon.
  ------
  2.2.3 : Server starts
  2.2.4 : Server starts when executed directory from httpd.exe (not from tray icon)
  2.2.6 : Server starts
  ------

Also, I have traced how ErrorLog directive handles "| rotatelogs.exe" line.
When "|" is found, httpd.exe creates NamedPipe and executes rotatelogs.exe from cmd.exe. At this point, output and input are changed like,
  ------
  httpd.exe -> (NamedPipe) -> rotatelogs.exe (-> error.log)
  ------

In addition, by using Windows Process Monitor, I have found rotatelogs.exe is writing to the current error.log file, but not old error.log file. rotatelogs.exe is really suspicious to me.

Any help are appreciated.
I would like to delete old error.log files without stopping Apache

Regards,
Kenji Kikuchi