Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Michael Dodson <mg...@mac.com> on 2006/04/27 17:09:45 UTC

re: multiple indexes

I know it is possible to query against multiple indexes, but is it
possible to create a composite query in which part of the query is
against one index and part is against another (similar to querying
against a default and a second field)?

for example  index1:query1 AND index2:query2

I thought about querying them separately and combining the scores but
would like to use lucene's scoring formula all the way through for
consistency and for evaluation purposes.

Thanks,

Mike D

re: multiple indexes

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
can you provide a little more clarification as to what it is you are
trying to achieve (not just the way you hope to achieve it)

Specificly: I can't make sense of what you would expect to get back with a
query like this...

    index1:query1 AND index2:query2

...traditionally, a query for "A and B" means that only documents qhich
match both clause A and clause B can be returned, but if you are
suggesting that clause A would only be searched against index1, and clause
B would only be searched against index2, then how could any document match
your resulting query?

:
: for example  index1:query1 AND index2:query2
:
: I thought about querying them separately and combining the scores but
: would like to use lucene's scoring formula all the way through for
: consistency and for evaluation purposes.
:
: Thanks,
:
: Mike D