Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Giles Sirett <gi...@shapeblue.com> on 2018/02/06 09:36:04 UTC

4.11 Release announcment

Hi all

Rohit and I are wording the announcement for the 4.11 release

I'm trying to get a few quotes for the announcements from ACS  users

Something along the lines of "we're excited about this new version of Cloudstack because of...."

If anybody here is able to provide a quote, can you please ping something over to me by Thursday 12:00 GMT

List of whats new below

New Features and Improvements
*        Support for XenServer 7.1 and 7.2, and improved support for VMware 6.5.
*        Host-HA<http://www.shapeblue.com/host-ha-for-kvm-hosts-in-cloudstack/> framework and HA-provider for KVM hosts with and NFS as primary storage, and a new background polling task manager.
*        Secure agents communication: new certificate authority framework<http://www.shapeblue.com/cloudstack-ca-framework/> and a default built-in root CA provider.
*        New network type - L2<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=74680920>.
*        CloudStack metrics exporter for Prometheus<https://prometheus.io/>.
*        Cloudian Hyperstore<https://cloudian.com/products/hyperstore/> Connector for CloudStack.
*        Annotation feature for CloudStack entities such as hosts.
*        Separation of volume snapshot creation of primary storage and backing operation on secondary storage.
*        Limit admin access from specified CIDRs.
*        Expansion of Management IP Range.
*        Dedication of public IPs to SSVM and CPVM.
*        Support for separate subnet for SSVM and CPVM.
*        Bypass secondary storage template copy/transfer for KVM.
*        Support for multi-disk OVA template for VMware.
*        Storage overprovisioning for local storage.
*        LDAP mapping with domain scope, and mapping of LDAP group to an account.
*        Move user across accounts.
*        Support for "VSD managed" networks with Nuage Networks.
*        Extend config drive support for user data, metadata, and password (Nuage networks).
*        Nuage domain template selection per VPC and support for network migration.
*        Managed storage enhancements.
*        Support for watchdog timer to KVM Instances.
*        Support for Secondary IPv6 Addresses and Subnets.
*        IPv6 Prefix Delegation support in Basic Networking.
*        Ability to specific mac address while deploying VM or adding a nic to a VM.
*        VMware dvswitch security policies configuration in network offering
*        Allow more than 7 nics to be added to a VMware VM.
*        Network rate<http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-administration/en/latest/service_offerings.html#network-throttling> usage for guest offering for VRs.
*        Usage metrics for VM snapshot on primary storage
*        Enable netscaler inline mode.
*        NCC integration in CloudStack.
*        The retirement of Midonet network plugin.
UI Improvements
*        High precision of metrics in the dashboard.
*        Event timeline - filter related events.
*        Navigation improvements:
*         VRs to account, network, instances
*         Network and VRs to instances.
*        List view improvements:
*         As applicable, account, zone, network columns in list views.
*         States and related columns with icons in various infrastructure entity views.
*         Additional columns in several list views.
*        New columns for additional information.
*        Bulk operation support for stopping and destroying VMs (known the issue of manual refreshing required).
Structural Improvements
*        Embedded Jetty and improved CloudStack management server configuration.
*        Improved support for Java 8 in built artifacts/modules, packaging, and systemvm template.
*        Debian 9 based systemvm template:
*         Patches system VM without reboot, reduces VR/systemvm startup time to few tens of seconds.
*         Faster console proxy startup and service availability.
*         Improved support for redundant virtual routers, conntrackd and keepalived.
*         Improved strongswan provided VPN (s2s and remote access).
*         Packer based systemvm template generation and reduced disk size.
*         Several optimization and improvements.

Kind regards
Giles

giles.sirett@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

Re: 4.11 Release announcment

Posted by "Moe@NuvolaCore.Com" <Mo...@NuvolaCore.com>.
Hello All,

Please check our comments below

Rohit and I are wording the announcement for the 4.11 release

I’m trying to get a few quotes for the announcements from ACS  users

 Something along the lines of “we’re excited about this new version of Cloudstack because of….”

If anybody here is able to provide a quote, can you please ping something over to me by Thursday 12:00 GMT

 List of whats new below

 New Features and Improvements

·        Support for XenServer 7.1 and 7.2, and improved support for VMware 6.5.

Excellent

·        Host-HA framework and HA-provider for KVM hosts with and NFS as primary storage, and a new background polling task manager.

Very useful

·        Secure agents communication: new certificate authority framework and a default built-in root CA provider.

·        New network type – L2.

·        CloudStack metrics exporter for Prometheus.

Excellent choice

·        Cloudian Hyperstore Connector for CloudStack.

We have our own Ceph storage based cluster. Fully tested with CloudStack with 50% less price.

·        Annotation feature for CloudStack entities such as hosts.

·        Separation of volume snapshot creation of primary storage and backing operation on secondary storage.

Very useful

·        Limit admin access from specified CIDRs.

·        Expansion of Management IP Range.

Good to have.

·        Dedication of public IPs to SSVM and CPVM.

·        Support for separate subnet for SSVM and CPVM.

Both useful

·        Bypass secondary storage template copy/transfer for KVM.

Awesome!

·        Support for multi-disk OVA template for VMware.

Awesome!

·        Storage overprovisioning for local storage.

Awesome too!

·        LDAP mapping with domain scope, and mapping of LDAP group to an account.

·        Move user across accounts.

To capitalize on. Good selling point.

·        Support for “VSD managed” networks with Nuage Networks.

Fantastic!

·        Extend config drive support for user data, metadata, and password (Nuage networks).

Fantastic again!

·        Nuage domain template selection per VPC and support for network migration.

·        Managed storage enhancements.

Very nice.

·        Support for watchdog timer to KVM Instances.

·        Support for Secondary IPv6 Addresses and Subnets.

·        IPv6 Prefix Delegation support in Basic Networking.

·        Ability to specific mac address while deploying VM or adding a nic to a VM.

Great for security features deployment.

·        VMware dvswitch security policies configuration in network offering

Same great for security features deployment.

·        Allow more than 7 nics to be added to a VMware VM.

Very useful

·        Network rate usage for guest offering for VRs.

·        Usage metrics for VM snapshot on primary storage

Wow!

·        Enable netscaler inline mode.

Another great one.

·        NCC integration in CloudStack.

·        The retirement of Midonet network plugin.

UI Improvements
·        High precision of metrics in the dashboard.

Always nice to have more precise DB.

·        Event timeline – filter related events.

Useful a lot.

·        Navigation improvements:

·         VRs to account, network, instances

·         Network and VRs to instances.

·        List view improvements:

·         As applicable, account, zone, network columns in list views.

·         States and related columns with icons in various infrastructure entity views.

·         Additional columns in several list views.

·        New columns for additional information.

·        Bulk operation support for stopping and destroying VMs (known the issue of manual refreshing required).

Structural Improvements
All great features
·        Embedded Jetty and improved CloudStack management server configuration.

·        Improved support for Java 8 in built artifacts/modules, packaging, and systemvm template.

·        Debian 9 based systemvm template:

·         Patches system VM without reboot, reduces VR/systemvm startup time to few tens of seconds.

·         Faster console proxy startup and service availability.

·         Improved support for redundant virtual routers, conntrackd and keepalived.

·         Improved strongswan provided VPN (s2s and remote access).

·         Packer based systemvm template generation and reduced disk size.

·         Several optimization and improvements.

 Regards,

Moe Vesal, M.Sc. & Eng.
CTO & Enterprise Infrastructure Architect, Cloud & BigData
NuvolaCore Inc.
101B - 920 Hillside Ave.,
Victoria, BC V8T 1Z8
Canada
Tel:  (250) 475-3001  Fax: (250) 475-3002
Emails: Moe@NuvolaCore.Com Webs : www.NuvolaCore.com

Kind regards

Giles

giles.sirett@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

Re: 4.11 Release announcment

Posted by "Moe@NuvolaCore.Com" <Mo...@NuvolaCore.com>.
Hi Giles,

Yes, indeed impressive. I will send you our comments shortly.

Best Regards,

Moe Vesal
Moe@NuvolaCore.Com

RE: 4.11 Release announcment