Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Kay Schenk <ks...@apache.org> on 2016/08/28 23:07:20 UTC

Re: Java 32 Redux

On 01/08/2015 03:36 PM, V Stuart Foote wrote:
>> I've added a background color and icon. The text was also
>
> It certainly won't be missed now...

No, it won't. It seems using a 32-bit Java on a 64-bit Windows
environment continues to be a source of frustration for end users.

We'll be changing System Requirements generally for 4.2. But, meanwhile,
could this lovely message box be added as a second paragraph to the
current System Requirements page?

http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/source/sys_reqs_aoo41.html

On another related thread, Juergen had suggested an added parameter of
-d32 to run the 64 bit Java in 32 bit mode. Unfortunately this only
applies to *nix variants and maybe(?) MacOSX. Windows doesn't have it.
it's too bad, because it certainly would be an easy fix.

Kay Schenk
Apache OpenOffice

"Things work out best for those who make
 the best of the way things work out."
                         -- John Wooden

Re: Java 32 Redux

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 08/29/2016 01:07 AM, schrieb Kay Schenk:

> On 01/08/2015 03:36 PM, V Stuart Foote wrote:
>>> I've added a background color and icon. The text was also
>>
>> It certainly won't be missed now...
>
> No, it won't. It seems using a 32-bit Java on a 64-bit Windows
> environment continues to be a source of frustration for end users.
>
> We'll be changing System Requirements generally for 4.2. But, meanwhile,
> could this lovely message box be added as a second paragraph to the
> current System Requirements page?
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/source/sys_reqs_aoo41.html

does anyone have the exact wording handy? Then I can create something
for the webpage.

TIA

Marcus

RE: Java 32 Redux

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
There's also a proposal to rework the error messages.  I started over a year ago, and was flummoxes on not wanting there to be multiple warnings in the same message (having to do with how exception messages are combined).  It would be worth getting back to for 4.2.

 - Dennis