Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Amy Drew <Am...@noaa.gov> on 2005/01/06 21:31:06 UTC

chainsaw SocketHubAppender ssh

Hi:

I've been using log4j and chainsaw w/ the SocketHubAppender and
SocketHubReviever from
within an intranet.  I would like to use chainsaw for those logs from
outside the intranet, however,
for security reasons those ports are not (and will not be) exposed.  I
was thinking of tunneling through ssh, but,
there is no authentication.  Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Amy

--
Amy Drew
Computer Sciences Corporation

Re: chainsaw SocketHubAppender ssh

Posted by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com>.
There is a VFSLogFilePatternReceiver that can act as a receiver and
access log files from a remote location using Jakarta Commons VFS (which
treats many remote locations just like a normal File/Dir, including ssh).

IIRC, and Scott should pick me up here, you can use the current Web
start version of Chainsaw, but you must place Commons VFS jars and it's
dependencies including the ssh libraries it requires in your
JAVA_HOME/ext/lib.  this is because of classloading behaviour.

See: http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/vfs/

and

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/vfs/download.html

You'll need the JSCH  library to do ssh/sftp stuff.

Scott, care to extend on this?

cheers,

Paul Smith