Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Pete Nelson <pe...@ci.stpaul.mn.us> on 2002/03/07 19:49:20 UTC

Re: Possible rehash of a question, but looking for a differentsolution

mod_rewrite may have just what you're looking for - take a look at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_rewrite.html as well as the
practical examples in
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/rewriteguide.html

I actually use mod_rewrite to block other sites from using our images.
If you try to access certain pictures without being refered from our web
site, you get
http://www.ci.stpaul.mn.us/depts/police/photos/noaccess.gif thanks to
mod rewrite.  I would imagine you could set up something similar for
incoming bots.

--
Pete Nelson, Web Developer
<pe...@ci.stpaul.mn.us>

>>> microchp@microchp.org 03/07/02 10:46AM >>>
I have seen many ways using cgi scripts and User-Agent variables to
block
spiders from an Apache web site.

I am looking for something a little more complex that can be done in
the
httpd.conf file (so that it is not dependant on anything external)
which will
detect when a user has accessed a spam-bot/spider page, and will then
set a
variable which will follow them throught their sessions.

I tried playing around with Request_URI but that is only
'per-request'.

The reason that I do not rely upon User-Agent, is that most mirroring
programs
now allow people to simply mimic a normal web browser.

Does anyone know of a way within 'Any' apache install, wether it be on
Linux,
BSD, Win2k, AIX or whatever, that I can trap users which hit a page
that would
not otherwise be accessed by normal browsing?

I apogize if this has already been beaten to death, though I did not
see
anything quite to this detail in the archives.

Thanks,

Aaron