Posted to dev@fineract.apache.org by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org> on 2018/09/07 23:31:03 UTC

Call for Mentors - 2018 Google Code-In - Applications open September 6-17 - contest begins October 23rd for students

Hello Mifos and Apache Fineract communities,

Google just announced it's Google Code-In program will be occurring once
again for the 9th consecutive year. This year there are some major changes
to the program itself which you can see below - the most pressing one being
that the program is starting early this year - applications have already
opened and are due September 17. The program itself will run from October
23 to December 12.

The Mifos Initiative is considering participating in Google Code-In 2018
for the third time but it's contingent upon having an active and committed
group of mentors. The community has many major projects going on right now
and can only take on this intensive program if we have the participation
across our entire community.

This is Google's program to help introduce pre-university students to open
source where students compete to complete as many bite-sized tasks (3 to 5
hours) as possible across the following buckets: Code,
Documentation/Training, Outreach/Research, Quality Assurance, or User
Interface.

We grew our participation immensely last year, more than tripling the
number of tasks completed. It was a honor to work with talented high school
students and a great way to get many of our newest community members
mobilized as mentors.

Please read our wrap-up post -
http://mifos.org/blog/2017-google-code-in-wrap-up/ - to learn about our
involvement last year.

To determine if we'll apply, I wanted to begin capturing who would like to
serve as a mentor. For all of our recent GSOC interns, this is a great way
to begin deepening your role in the community.

This call for mentoring is open to to everyone - you don't have to be a
developer as we need mentors for students working on all the domains.

If you're interested in mentoring, please fill out the form at
https://goo.gl/forms/CI8xbg04hgkLMpmL2 or respond to this mailing list
thread.

A critical part of a successful GCI is a wealth of small tasks - we'll soon
begin generating our list so put on your thinking cap of work you'd like to
see done.

More on the 2018 GCI program can be found below.

Cheers,

Ed

Posted by Adnan Manzoor <hr...@gmail.com>.
Hello

I'm interested in mentoring for GCI this year.

Best wishes
Adnan

Posted by Adnan Manzoor <hr...@gmail.com>.
Hello

Posted by Santosh Math <sa...@confluxtechnologies.com>.
Me too.  :)

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.
Hi everyone,

Just an update on GCI for 2018 as you might have noticed Mifos was not in
the list of participating organizations for 2018. The list is accurate as
we weren't chosen as one of the 27 organizations but this was due in part
because Google knew that if we didn't participate independently as a
separate organization, we still would be able to do so as part of an
umbrella organization, DIAL - Digital Impact Alliance,
<https://codein.withgoogle.com/organizations/digital-impact-alliance/>
through our relationship with them as a grant recipient.

So we will be participating in GCI as we typically would but just as a
sub-org within DIAL along with other projects like LibreHealth, Ushahidi,
and possible one other project.  The tasks we make available and the
opportunity to mentor will be the same for all of our community - we'll
just be doing it from the DIAL organization.

Stay tuned for details on how to register as a mentor and how we'll be
uploading our tasks. We'll update our wiki to reflect the nature of our
participation this year.

Ed

Posted by Santosh Math <sa...@confluxtechnologies.com>.
Me too.  :)