Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/01 23:45:01 UTC

Thought: offering EC2/S3-based services

I had a thought. After looking at Amazon's most excellent EC2 system
again I realized how simple it would be to offer batch recommendations
via EC2. You upload your data to S3, run a machine image I provide
parameterized with the file location, it crunches, copies the results
back, shuts down. It's attractive since they offer 8-way 15GB machines
and the algorithms can easily exploit this to the limit, making it
really efficient too.

I was thinking of developing an AMI for this separately and offering
it as a for-pay commercial service -- Amazon makes that pretty easy.
(It would hardly be a big money maker -- a couple dollars per hour is
probably the highest reasonable price to charge -- but would sorta pay
for its own development.)

I think it will be interesting to try as a proof of concept. It's a
solution that still doesn't scale to huge data sets, but I think a
15GB machine would still work for large-ish data sets (~100M ratings)
and its exactly those small- to medium-sized applications for which it
might make sense to outsource this.

Sean

Re: Thought: offering EC2/S3-based services

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
There are more and more small problems in the world.

     - corollary to Moore's law

--
Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve

Re: Thought: offering EC2/S3-based services

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Right, and I don't feel a particular need to be Hadoop only.  We
should be pragmatic in our choices and use what we think works best.
Also, we don't have to be all about distributed, either.  I think we
can get along just fine w/ non distributed as well.

-Grant

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by deneche abdelhakim <a_...@yahoo.fr>.

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Bass <ti...@gmail.com>.

> But what if you don't want Ubuntu (or do)?

Most folks don't care about the underlying OS in the AMI, as long as
it is well supported, at least that is my experience.  And, according
to a long running poll at The UNIX and Linux Forums, Ubuntu is the
most popular open/free Linux OS (voted by users). Ubuntu Hardy seems
to be one of the most popular AMIs as well. according to my work in
EC2.

No one will give Mahout any grief for a nice Ubuntu Hardy AMI with a
full running Mahout service with an easy to configure web interface
:-)

As a side note, configuring an AMI for an application is non-trivial.
 Setting up a decent LAMP configuration can be challenging; I assume
that is why there is a Ubuntu Hardy LAMP AMI  that can be easily
instantiated.

Anyway, I guess we are getting way ahead of ourselves :-)

Cheers.

Re: Thought: offering EC2/S3-based services

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 5:57 PM, Tim Bass <ti...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't agree with you that simply putting resources in S3 is better
> than having an AMI as Grant suggests. It is not "either or" but
> "both".

Fair point.

> It would be much easier for people if they could simply log into their
> Amazon account (I have one) and turn on a Mahout AMI, and just
> configure it.

But what if you don't want Ubuntu (or do)?

I would think it just as handy to have a script that I should shove into any
AMI that I happen to run to turn it into a Mahout capable machine.

You are talking about "Hosting files as a service", which is a great idea
> too.

Hmm... I would think of it more along the lines of hosting free software in
binary form.

> However, the SaaS and CaaS model for analytics is well established now
> and this is a perfect model for Mahout in EC2.

And that is not what either of us really proposed.

For that, a higher level service is appropriate and a more appropriate
interface.

AMI's and files are things, not particularly a service.  The category error
is tempting, but I think misleading.

Re: Thought: offering EC2/S3-based services

Posted by Tim Bass <ti...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ted,

I don't agree with you that simply putting resources in S3 is better
than having an AMI as Grant suggests. It is not "either or" but
"both".

It would be much easier for people if they could simply log into their
Amazon account (I have one) and turn on a Mahout AMI, and just
configure it.

You are talking about "Hosting files as a service", which is a great idea too.

However, the SaaS and CaaS model for analytics is well established now
and this is a perfect model for Mahout in EC2.

In my opinion.....

Yours sincerely, Tim

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Good point.

--------------------------

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Bass <ti...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tim Bass <ti...@gmail.com>.
Yes, this is a perfect fit for offering analytics as a service, folks
can call it A3S .... :-)

See this reference post:

http://www.thecepblog.com/2009/01/14/it-infrastructure-capability-as-a-service/

... where I also mention Mahout.