Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Turoff, Steve" <St...@tenethealth.com> on 2003/04/25 23:04:37 UTC

Tomcat Memory Problems and WebTrends

Greetings,

I am running Tomcat 4.1.24 and Apache/1.3.19 (Unix)  (Red-Hat/Linux). Every night, a WebTrends server makes a request to every page in the Apache access_logs. I believe this is to obtain the HTML title for the WebTrends reports. I've noticed that when WebTrends makes it's requests, Tomcat's memory starts to climb dramatically. I modified httpd.conf to pipe the access_logs into a script I wrote which outputs the line from the access_log (actually a shorter custom Format) and the amount of memory that Tomcat is using. I've attached a sample at the end of this email. As you can see from 03:36:59 AM to 04:01:15, Tomcat's memory almost doubles. On some nights, Tomcat actually stops accepting requests and I have to kill all of the java processes in order to restart Tomcat. I've attempted to recreate this problem using The Grinder (load tester), but cannot do so.

Can anyone think of why requests from WebTrends would cause this problem?

Thanks,
Steve

Steven Turoff
Peoples Health Network
200 W. Esplanade Ave., Suite 600
Kenner, Louisiana 70065
tel: 504.461.9800 ext. 4363
fax: 461.9809

CONFIDENTIAL HEALTH INFORMATION

This email message and any accompanying attachments are confidential and privileged. This information is intended solely for the addressee; access by anyone else is unauthorized. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by erroneous transmission. If you are not the intended recipient, any forwarding, opening of attachments, disclosure, copying, distribution, or other action, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please delete it and any attachments and notify the sender at Peoples Health Network immediately.

Re: Tomcat Memory Problems and WebTrends

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
You can configure webtrends to not pull the HTML title. That is all webtrends
is doing. (I think). If you don't need the HTML title inyour report - woohoo
- problem solved.

PS: I hate webtrends

-Tim