Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> on 2017/07/06 19:09:23 UTC

Re: Buildbot upgrades broken ?

On 28/06/2017 Gavin McDonald wrote:
> You are complaining we replaced 5 year old and 10 year old Operating systems and that this broke your builds.

No, I was complaining that newer versions of other software were
installed and this (although I can understand that there may have been
incompatibilities) caused issues. I see Infra is now taking action about
this and I highly appreciate it - and in the meantime we are testing
Matthias' builds that were done on Windows 10, so I think things can be
restored.

On the "old OS" discussion: to keep it short, our release builds must be
done on an old system as they will run on any Linux-based system that is
NEWER than the one used for building. Of course, insofar as we use
buildbots just to check that the build doesn't break, it's fine to keep
them recent; but if we were to use them to build releases, then we have
to do it on an old system. This holds for Linux, probably not for
Windows and Mac.

Regards,
   Andrea.