Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Alex Lee <el...@hotmail.com> on 2014/04/02 10:43:51 UTC

DNS pre request for hadoop install

I am trying to use ambari (hortonwoks) to install hadoop. One step is to pre-config DNS as manual link below.
http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.0.9.1/bk_using_Ambari_book/content/ambari-chap1-5-5.html

Since I am only using internal network, not sure how to config fully.qualified.domain.name. My hostname -f only shows localhost. And in /etc/sysconfig/network, it give HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain

If anyone already get hadoop running, what is the real DNS requests for hadoop.
Any suggestion, thanks a lot.

alex

Re: DNS pre request for hadoop install

Posted by oscar sumano <os...@gmail.com>.
You can use /etc/hosts entries for all servers.  Don't forget to add the
host that you are installing ambari on.

Posted by Alex Lee <el...@hotmail.com>.
I have 4 nodes, now 3 nodes installed hadoop by ambari ok, one node failed, but with same configuration, :(.

From: mshi@gopivotal.com
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 18:17:14 +0800
Subject: Re: DNS pre request for hadoop install
To: user@hadoop.apache.org

You'd better change the the /etc/sysconfig/network as well so the hostname is persisted after system reboot.
HOSTNAME=n2.myhdp.com  --->>> HOSTNAME=n2

Yes, thanks a lot, it is almost done.

From: mshi@gopivotal.com
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 14:07:24 +0800

To: user@hadoop.apache.org

So you are on machine n2, right? Run command "hostname n2" and run "hostname -f", see what's the output.

--
Cheers
-MJ

--
Cheers
-MJ

RE: DNS pre request for hadoop install

Posted by Mingjiang Shi <ms...@gopivotal.com>.

--
Cheers
-MJ

Re: DNS pre request for hadoop install

Posted by Mingjiang Shi <ms...@gopivotal.com>.

--
Cheers
-MJ

Re: DNS pre request for hadoop install

Posted by Mingjiang Shi <ms...@gopivotal.com>.

--
Cheers
-MJ

Re: DNS pre request for hadoop install

Posted by Mingjiang Shi <ms...@gopivotal.com>.

--
Cheers
-MJ

RE: DNS pre request for hadoop install

Posted by Alex Lee <el...@hotmail.com>.
I tried the following

/etc/hosts

127.0.0.1   localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4
localhost4.localdomain4

::1         localhost localhost.localdomain
localhost6 localhost6.localdomain6

172.16.5.110 n1.myhdp.com n1

172.16.5.111
n2.myhdp.com n2

172.16.5.112
n3.myhdp.com n3

172.16.5.113
n4.myhdp.com n4

/etc/sysconfig/network

NETWORKING=yes

HOSTNAME=n2.myhdp.com

I also try to change the file below, but seems not successful.
/etc/resolv.conf

From: mshi@gopivotal.com
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 18:27:13 +0800
To: user@hadoop.apache.org

Here is the thing:
1. It is preferred to set up the host with fqdn to run hadoop.  The indication of a good fqdn setup is the output of "hostname -f" contains dots.

2. The quick fix to your environment is:
a.  in /etc/sysconfig/network, change HOSTNAME=localhost

b. run command "hostname localhost"
c. in your etc/hosts, change it to the following:
127.0.0.1   localhost.localdomain localhost

Now, if you run "hostname -f", you will get localhost.localdomain.

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 5:59 PM, Alex Lee <el...@hotmail.com> wrote:

This is the command result,
[root@localhost yum.repos.d]# hostname
localhost.localdomain
[root@localhost yum.repos.d]# hostname -f
localhost
[root@localhost yum.repos.d]# cat /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1   localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4 localhost4.localdomain4
::1         localhost localhost.localdomain localhost6 localhost6.localdomain6
[root@localhost yum.repos.d]#

Should I change it to some own defined domain in hosts file or network file.

From: mshi@gopivotal.com
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 17:24:59 +0800
To: user@hadoop.apache.org

If you don't know what fully qualified domain name is, google it first.

Let me show you my configuration:

[dev@devmachine:~ ]$ hostname
devmachine
[dev@devmachine:~ ]$ hostname -f
devmachine.mydomain
[dev@devmachine:~ ]$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1   localhost.localdomain localhost localhost4 localhost4.localdomain4

::1         localhost.localdomain localhost localhost6 localhost6.localdomain6
192.168.9.168 devmachine.mydomain       devmachine

where 192.168.9.168 is my machine ip, devmachine.mydomain is my host fqdn.

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 5:13 PM, Alex Lee <el...@hotmail.com> wrote:

In the hosts file, it has
127.0.0.1   localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4 localhost4.localdomain4
::1         localhost localhost.localdomain localhost6 localhost6.localdomain6

When running hostname -f, it shows localhost.

Will it be ok, or need to use the
fully.qualified.domain.name

From: mshi@gopivotal.com
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 17:06:52 +0800

To: user@hadoop.apache.org

In your /etc/hosts file. Change it to something like below:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

then run hostname -f and see what's the output.

Posted by Mingjiang Shi <ms...@gopivotal.com>.
Here is the thing:

--
Cheers