Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by lars hofhansl <lh...@yahoo.com> on 2012/10/07 08:11:27 UTC

State of the 0.94 tests

I've been trying (essentially the entire day) getting a successful jenkins build for 0.94 (triggering the test run periodically from my phone). Not a *single* run succeeded.
This is clearly not acceptable. Something is off.

The tests that fails the most frequently are:
- TestSplitTransactionOnCluster.testShouldThrowIOExceptionIfStoreFileSizeIsEmptyAndSHouldSuccessfullyExecuteRollback
- TestSplitTransactionOnCluster.testShouldClearRITWhenNodeFoundInSplittingState
(The failure cause most of the time is too many files open, but also fail because of unavailable regions).

Both tests were added recently (since 0.94.2RC2). See HBASE-6854 and HBASE-6853.

Either there is something wrong with the tests, or we introduced some problems in the code base.

Note that I am not dinging these two changes specifically. Both were fixes with a lot of thought and care behind them.

There are also various time out issues in other tests.

These were all the fixes added since the last RC:
[HBASE-4565] - Maven HBase build broken on cygwin with copynativelib.sh call
[HBASE-6299] - RS starting region open while failing ack to HMaster.sendRegionOpen() causes inconsistency in HMaster's region state and a series of successive problems
[HBASE-6679] - RegionServer aborts due to race between compaction and split
[HBASE-6688] - folder referred by thrift demo app instructions is outdated
[HBASE-6854] - Deletion of SPLITTING node on split rollback should clear the region from RIT
[HBASE-6871] - HFileBlockIndex Write Error in HFile V2 due to incorrect split into intermediate index blocks
[HBASE-6888] - HBase scripts ignore any HBASE_OPTS set in the environment
[HBASE-6889] - Ignore source control files with apache-rat
[HBASE-6900] - RegionScanner.reseek() creates NPE when a flush or compaction happens before the reseek.
[HBASE-6901] - Store file compactSelection throws ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException
[HBASE-6906] - TestHBaseFsck#testQuarantine* tests are flakey due to TableNotEnabledException
[HBASE-6912] - Filters are not properly applied in certain cases
[HBASE-6916] - HBA logs at info level errors that won't show in the shell
[HBASE-6920] - On timeout connecting to master, client can get stuck and never make progress
[HBASE-6927] - WrongFS using HRegionInfo.getTableDesc() and different fs for hbase.root and fs.defaultFS
[HBASE-6946] - JavaDoc missing from release tarballs
[HBASE-5582] - "No HServerInfo found for" should be a WARNING message
[HBASE-6914] - Scans/Gets/Mutations don't give a good error if the table is disabled.
[HBASE-6853] - IllegalArgument Exception is thrown when an empty region is spliitted.

Unless somebody (Ram :) ) speaks up I will roll back HBASE-6854 and HBASE-6853 (and maybe HBASE-6299)

I could also roll all of these back except HBASE-6920 (which is the one that sunk the last RC). And leave the rest of the next RC.

Also, from now on - at least until 0.94.2 is released, please clear all 0.94 changes with me before you commit. There is clearly too much churn going into 0.94 too quickly, which prevents 0.94.2 from stabilizing.

-- Lars

Re: State of the 0.94 tests

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
I should add we see those TestReplication failures on our old slow Jenkins
(3 year old dual core Xeons) but never locally. It's internal waits are too
stringent for slow systems.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: State of the 0.94 tests

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: State of the 0.94 tests

Posted by lars hofhansl <lh...@yahoo.com>.
Hmm... the 0.94 build is setup with -PrunAllTests, whereas the security build is not. So that explains it.

________________________________

Re: State of the 0.94 tests

Posted by lars hofhansl <lh...@yahoo.com>.

Re: State of the 0.94 tests

Posted by lars hofhansl <lh...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks Ram,

as I said, these are well thought out fixes. Sometimes I think you are the only one who actually understands how the assignment/balance process really works :)

With the environment issues out of the way (by not using ubuntu2) the test fails much less frequently.
The frequently failures were actually my fault by enabling ubuntu2 for the jenkins build in the first place (there was a reason why someone had disabled it before).

testShouldThrowIOExceptionIfStoreFileSizeIsEmptyAndSHouldSuccessfullyExecuteRollback still fails occasionally with a failed assertion, but these look like test failures, not production code problems. I commented to this extend on the jira.

TL;DR: I think we're good for the current RC. The test flaps sometimes; we just need to fix that.

-- Lars

Posted by "Ramkrishna.S.Vasudevan" <ra...@huawei.com>.
Hi Lars

Re: State of the 0.94 tests