Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by da...@apache.org on 2020/08/27 07:38:18 UTC

[Feature Model] Binaries archive support in feature models and .far files.

Hi all,

Over the past weeks Karl Pauls and I have been working on supporting binary
archives in features models. In short, this allows archives (jar/zip files)
to be listed in a feature model extension, which are then extracted to a
configurable location on disk when the feature is launched, either via the
Feature Launcher through a Launcher Extension, or through the OSGi
installer.

It relates to the following issues:

SLING-9670 Support binary zip files in feature extension [1]
SLING-9658 Support binary archives in .far files [2]

While some of the changes are done
in sling-org-apache-sling-installer-factory-feature [3] most of the work is
done in a new component which is available at [4] which provides the
Launcher Extension as well as services that are picked up by the OSGi
installer to perform this task.

Currently [4] is in the sling-whiteboard repository. It would be great if
we can graduate it out of there into its own repository.
Would the Sling community think that this is ok to do?

We could call the new repository
sling-org-apache-sling-feature-extension-unpack which follows the same
format as existing extensions for apiregions and content already do.

Thoughts?

Best regards,

David and Karl

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-9670
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-9658
[3]
https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=sling-org-apache-sling-installer-factory-feature.git
[4]
https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=sling-whiteboard.git;a=tree;f=featuremodel-unpack-extension;hb=HEAD

Re: [Feature Model] Binaries archive support in feature models and .far files.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 9:38 AM <da...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...Currently [4] is in the sling-whiteboard repository. It would be great if
> we can graduate it out of there into its own repository.
> Would the Sling community think that this is ok to do?..

Sounds good to me!

> We could call the new repository
> sling-org-apache-sling-feature-extension-unpack which follows the same
> format as existing extensions for apiregions and content already do...

+1 and please add the osgi-feature-model topic (using .asf.yaml) so
that the new repository is listed at
https://github.com/search?q=topic%3Asling+topic%3Aosgi-feature-model+topic%3Aosgi+org%3Aapache&type=Repositories
- that query is used in
https://sling.apache.org/documentation/development/feature-model.html

-Bertrand

> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-9670
> [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-9658
> [3]
> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=sling-org-apache-sling-installer-factory-feature.git
> [4]
> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=sling-whiteboard.git;a=tree;f=featuremodel-unpack-extension;hb=HEAD

Re: [Feature Model] Binaries archive support in feature models and .far files.

Posted by da...@apache.org.
Hi all,

Thanks for the +1s.

I have now moved the code to
https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=sling-org-apache-sling-feature-extension-unpack.git

https://github.com/apache/sling-org-apache-sling-feature-extension-unpack

I added the label to the .asf.yml file so that it shows up in the
osgi-feature-model search, thanks for the suggestion, Bertrand!

Best regards,

David

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.