Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Life is hard, and then you die." <ro...@innovation.ch> on 1999/09/01 06:58:47 UTC

Re: Maintaining status tables across restart

> For shared memory, Ken suggested that the server could maintain a list
> of scoreboards; one per generation. During a graceful restart, a new
> generation's scoreboard is created, and an old scoreboard is cleaned
> up when the last child of that generation goes away. Is this feasible?
> Any better ideas?

Actually, this reminds me of a feature I'm missing: some way to know
when the last child of a generation has died. I need that in
mod_auth_digest to know when to be able to clean up the old tables
which are in shared mem. One useful place to put this hook would be
as the cleanup handler of a pool/context.

Because there is no such hook, I currently cannot clean up any shared
mem stuff after a graceful restart (and hence also after a restart),
which in turn means that if you want to change certain configs you need
to stop and start the server for them to take effect.

  Cheers,

  Ronald