Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Daniel F Garcia <dg...@ballsolutions.com> on 2003/11/04 04:17:50 UTC

Making subversion look pretty

I've noticed that the subversion web access (eg
http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/) looks ugly. Are there any mechanisms to
pretty this up ?

Is this within the scope of subversion or should I do this with an external
tool ?
Are there plans to add this sort of functionality to the product ?

Best Regards,

Daniel F Garcia.

 Ball Solutions Group <http://www.ballsolutions.com/BSG-300x44.gif>
Phone: +61 7 5461 1223   Fax: +61 7 5461 1221   Mobile: 0438 670 947
Email: dgarcia@BallSolutions.com
Mail: Level 2, 15 Gordon St, Ipswich Qld 4305
Web:  <http://www.ballsolutions.com/> http://www.BallSolutions.com

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts
can be counted"
--Albert Enstein

Re: Making subversion look pretty

Posted by Jason Rust <jr...@rustyparts.com>.
> I should also mention that the party line is basically, "this is as far
> as standalone SVN will go;  if you want more, install ViewCVS, which now
> has subversion support."

Or install Horde's Chora which also now supports subversion.

-Jason

Re: Making subversion look pretty

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
"Erik Huelsmann" <e....@gmx.net> writes:

> I'd hate to loose the simple look. I don't need any of the fancy stuff most
> of the time, besides, it would prevent me from running some content directly
> out of my repository.

I hear it.

> > You can argue from perception that we'd be spoiling the "simple look" of
> > the current interface, but a featureful repository viewer should be part
> > of the Subversion distribution. Don't you think it would be convenient to
> > provide such an interface for users, rather than the current "simple look"

What would be truly convenient would be to notice that DAV doesn't
require that we do anything at all for GETs of directories -- wow, how
nice to lose that chunk of code that we don't technically *need* to
support!  But, we're nice folks, so we'll provide a simple,
easy-to-maintain[1] directory listing for the benefit of our users.

-- C-Mike

[1] By easy-to-maintain, I mean Easy To Maintain, where maintenance is
    simplified, and keeping the code intact is facilitated by a
    built-in lack of complexity.

Re: Making subversion look pretty

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net>.
I'd hate to loose the simple look. I don't need any of the fancy stuff most
of the time, besides, it would prevent me from running some content directly
out of my repository.

bye,

Erik.

Posted by Mukund <mu...@tessna.com>.
On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 07:51:58AM +1000, Daniel F Garcia wrote:
> I like the idea of doing the visuals through xml/xsl. It gives you a lot of
> power and allows subversion to focus on what subversion does.
>
> Most of my business application run on a windwos box using asp .net. I
> already have standard templates for my web applications and it will be a
> simple thing to just point to an xml data source and do some basic
> manipulations.

A repository viewer can be written to output XML.

--

Mukund

Re: Making subversion look pretty

Posted by Mark <ma...@msdhub.com>.
From: "Daniel F Garcia" <dg...@ballsolutions.com>

> I like the idea of doing the visuals through xml/xsl. It gives you a lot
of
> power and allows subversion to focus on what subversion does.
>
> Most of my business application run on a windwos box using asp .net. I
> already have standard templates for my web applications and it will be a
> simple thing to just point to an xml data source and do some basic
> manipulations.
>
> Daniel.

I  agree completely. The only thing I could wish for is a way to view a
revision other than HEAD in the web interface.

Mark

RE: Making subversion look pretty

Posted by Daniel F Garcia <dg...@ballsolutions.com>.

Posted by Mukund <mu...@tessna.com>.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 22:17, Daniel F Garcia wrote:
> I've noticed that the subversion web access (eg
> http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/) looks ugly. Are there any mechanisms
> to pretty this up ?

Yes, it outputs xml that you can mix with your own CSS.

For example, check this link:  http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn-xml/